Chipping and insurance

I'm thinking of chipping my smart city cabrio from 61bhp to 81bhp. Since this is above 26% increase then most mainstream insurers dont seem to want to touch it. Is there much risk in not telling them about it? If there was a big accident and loss adjusters were involved would they test for a chip? Could I claim ignorance that the previous owner had it done and didnt tell the dealership I bought from?

Reply to
alfi286

Seems a little obvious, but try a non 'mainstream' insurer... ?

Of course, you risk your policy being invalidated.

Very doubtful.

You could use that as a defense, but it wouldn't make any difference as to your policy being invalidated would go. The fact it was there is all that would matter, ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law and all that.

At the end of the day, the risk of being caught is extremely small so it's just down to your own personal morals (although it sounds like that's not a problem, heh) and whether you think the risk is worth it at the end of the day...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

A mate of mine chipped his Golf TDI and wrapped it, had the balls to make a claim and they didn't spot it, even after coming to assess it. That was Direct Line. Interpret that as you will ;-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Tescos came to inspect my MR2 a few months ago and said they didnt even need the keys. I made sure I parked the front end (and my dodgy spraying) in the bush where it couldnt be seen :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not now you've posted your intentions in a public newsgroup on the internet.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car. If you want it quicker, then modify it. No point starting with a really slow car and trying to make it a little quicker. Ignorance isn't a defence in the eyes of the law.

Reply to
Homer

Quite possibly. Kermy's ECU has been "checked" - they deleted the fault codes. Anyway now he's going nowhere *cough heh*...

Not any more, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

I don't really think he's gonna be identifyable (sp?) from this posting. Sure theres an email address, but someone would have to be arsed to link that to an Aol account, and AOL probably won't give you the details, then be arsed to find out who he is insured with, then go to the effort of telling them. At the moment he or she is just a random Smart City Cabrio driver.

To the OP - the chances of getting caught are tiny - much less than getting caught for speeding and i'll bet you still do that :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

I had a faster car (Civic type r) but was fed up with =A31400 a year to insure it. My insurance now costs =A3250 a year! I would like the chip but dont want to change my insurer from direct line to one of them dodgy ones in the back of max power who would likely charge me =A3800 or something like that.

Reply to
alfi286