Compressed Air Intake

I've been thinking of supercharger alternatives for the past couple days, and I've come up with an interesting one. I'm just hopeing that maybe someone might have some suggestions or warnings. Here goes:

Install a large air tank into the trunk of my car. Have no motor on the tank but have a nozzle that can attach to a motorized tank from my house to compress the tank. Complress the tank to 60-100 psi. Run hoses from the tank in my car to the intake of my motor. Release the compressed air through a regulator into the motor (at a preset pressure to affect performance at a particular rev area) manually using a valve or, rig something up to release the air during peak revs.

Theres alot of details I've copmletely left out, but this is the plan. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
GPierce

It would work but be very limited. Why not just use NOS? Or turbos?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well, I've decided to not go that way, mainly becasue of money issues. In case it matters, I'm using a 289 V8. I just thought air is free basically, and a supercharger or turbocharger will basically do the same thing. Although like you pointed out much more efficient. I have everything I need to built this system right now, and I don't really wanna drop that much money into this engine, because I plan to basically use it as a fun ride for the end of the summer.

Reply to
GPierce

Just stick a big carby and headers on it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You are going to need a regulator that can empty your bottle in seconds to have ANY effect. It will need big pipes too, like radiator hoses. And you will need to add extra fuel depending on your engine management system stup. And mostly what will happen is the air you add will simply replace the air that would have been drawn through the throttle body or carb. If you add enough, fast enough, then once you get past the point that air is actually coming out of the air intake you might see a very small increase, and more once you close the throttle! So some boost in the intake can be made. Dont think you really thought this through!

Nitrous on the other hand is richer in oxygen, and fed in very dense liguid form, and even a small boost needs lots of the stuff and the bottle lasts only 10bhp per lb per minute.

Reply to
Burgerman

I lot of the DIY turbo drag racers in the US use CO2 with an injector in the body of the turbo or the manifold on the exhaust side. Use a quick burst of CO2 to spin up the turbo at launch, and instant no lag, without the spitting flames of fuel driven anti lag. but is only available for as long as the CO2 tank lasts.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

There's no reason it wouldn't work, but the engine is gonna swallow all the air in a few seconds - they use *VAST* amounts. And the huge tank in the boot will be very heavy...

Reply to
Nom