Corsa SRi Remap / Superchip

*snort*

Coming from you, that's *really* funny.

What's the broken window count these days?

Reply to
SteveH

Though in insurance terms York is one of the cheapest places to live. I moved from York to somewhere much less pikey but my insurance went up as I now have a Leeds postcode.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Whooosh.

The same as it was on the 19 August.

Reply to
DervMan

The SportKa only feels overgeared because it's got f*ck all power, and it STILL takes over 10 seconds to 60.

Reply to
Iridium

But to be fair, you can't drive it unless you're a girl or really gay. It's gayer than my 206 FFS.

What the f*ck? NO ONE owns one. Have you ever seen one of the 'hot' ones on the road? They're comedy joke cars like Kias and Protons - there is just no need to purchase one. You'd, quite rightly, lost all your friends.

Wasn't it the best selling car in Britain a year or so ago?

Pot, kettle ;-)

Reply to
Iridium
[snip]

That's right. It's loved by middle aged ladies and louts. You may be neither of those of course.

It's okay, I understand you wanting to defend your choice of car. That's fine. It's just that you appear to have been suckered in by the claimed performance figures. The 1.8 Corsa isn't all that, plain and simple. Vauxhall have tweaked the car such that it hits 62 in an artificially low time. It's designed to appeal to people who consider that a low 0 - 62 time means it's a quick machine.

Have you tried it down the strip to see if it's as quick as other machines that have a similar time?

But lets go into detail since you're pulling faults with the data I have. The maximum power 123 bhp, kerb weight, 1,080 kg. That's a power to weight ratio of ~114 bhp / tonne. So lets have a look at the machines in my Datasheet with a comparable power to weight ratio. Note that this is the version 4.0 not 3.7 that's on my website.

. . .

Gosh. everything else that takes 8.0 seconds or less happens to be a rear wheel drive machine.

So either the Corsa has been deliberately set up to hit 62 artificially quickly for the power to weight ratio or Vauxhall are lying. Which is it?

Does it not strike you as odd that the previous Corsa Sport, the 1.6 model, happens to have the same power to weight ratio and yet takes 9.0 seconds to hit 62? Strange, that?

The average 0 - 62 time for this power to weight ratio happens to be 9.0 seconds. The average maximum speed is 132 mph. Gearing can influence one or sometimes two headline statistics but it doesn't change the laws of nature.

Reply to
DervMan

So, what you're saying is, Vauxhall have sacrificed 5 mph at the top to make it faster low down? Is this not a good thing?

Reply to
Iridium

No.

What I'm saying is that the gearing has been massaged to hit 62 in as short a time as possible.

If it hits 62 at say 6,500 rpm in second, are not the higher gears too tall? What happens when you *don't* want to hoof everywhere in second gear?

Reply to
DervMan

You use 3rd, 4th or 5th.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

And it perform like:

A a supercar B something with some poke, or, C something with too tall gearing

Vote now.

Reply to
DervMan

B - have you ever actually driven one? Seriously? Or are you just assuming from the figures?

Reply to
Iridium

It's on the datasheet, therefore you don't have to drive one to know what it will be like.

Obviously.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh right. Consider me *ding*ed then.

Reply to
Iridium

You're confusing desire with affordability.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

They could have bought many other things for the same money.

You're confusing what you and Dervy want, with what other people want. Hhehee, you want the same things as Dervy :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Back to back with the 1.4...

I'd put it as being between B and C, though. I always had the most fun in something with super short ratios so that I'm always swapping cogs to maintain grin-worthy progress, but with the Corsa 1.8 you spend most of your time in the lower three gears...

Reply to
DervMan

LOL. Speaks the chap who condemned generations of Fords from his experience of an old Escort.

Then drove them. Having already decided what he thought...

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, but we're talking about hot hatches here, not the Tesco run cars.

LOL! I have one for sale if you're interested (but you won't need the notepad, do it on the PDA).

Reply to
DervMan

No, you both just said 'Corsas'. And we're not talking hot hatches, like the guy said, the whole reason he has the 1.8 is because it's cheap to insure etc because it's not that hot.

Reply to
Iridium

So, been in the lower three gears is a bad thing now? I really don't understand the basis of your argument here?

Reply to
Iridium