Elise vs VX220

Slightly unfair comparison, I admit - a very early Elise S1 (we're talking one of the first 100) against a VX220.

I really, really wanted to like the Elise - it was the right colour (BRG), had a hardtop, all the right upgrades and bills that add up to your average third world country's debt. Including of course several head gasket changes. If only it didn't have a noisy exhaust on and of course a decat to get the full benefit of that. It's not that they're inherently quiet cars anyway but that one was just about loud enough to give me a headache. Pity, was a nice car but the budget wouldn't stand another exhaust and the new tyres it needs.

The VX220 - another NA one - was a cat D as the wife of the original owner vandalised it after he threw her out after she had an affair. Surprisingly effective knife attack too, some of the traces are still visible...

Other than that, it had sensible upgrades (mainly cooling system), a respray so no stonechip issues (unfortunately in the original pale yellow) and of course it doesn't need another head gasket between services. Low mileage as well, but as some of the paperwork has disappeared over time so it's hard to prove. But comparing it to the one I drove last weekend with almost thrice the mileage, I would say it checks out. It still needs a little work (some knifemarks in the lights need polishing out, there's a shallow cut in the dash that could do with reworking a little better and the grilles over the engine want changing) but it's also a grand cheaper than the Elise, drives better and has 45k less on the clock.

So far, VX220 - others 2:0.

Westfield and another 911 tomorrow...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Tough choices!!

One thing I'd say watch out for on the VX220 is that the respray is top notch. They're notoriously difficult to get right and plenty were done under warranty due to orange peel and dodgy finishes. My mate's Turbo went back in to the dealership to have this problem sorted and came out worse than before - overspray, paint flaking etc. Apparently there's one guy that is well known for getting spot on (somewhere up north) and in the end I believe he came down to oversee a second respray.

Also if you get one make sure it's got the aftermarket sun-shield thingy fitted to the header tank. If it's the same as the Turbo and it sits under one of the bonnet vents the direct sun-light will cause it to crack and leak (another warranty issue on my mates). The sheild is only a few quid online, but is well worth it for the peace of mind.

Make sure the marks on the lights can be polished out. IIRC the rear ones cost in the region of £400 new. So make sure there's no condensation in there too!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Tell me about it...

It's not bad, I think the guy who did it knows what he's doing. Also, keep in mind it's a cat D so if it's "too nice" we're back in lipstick'n'pig territory.

Oops. The guy who did this one supposedly does most of the current owner's spray jobs (and he seems to have classic car ADD that's to rival mine and JackH's).

No sun shield (although I'm considering one) but it's got a brand new tank. It's one of the easy fixes and they're cheap...

They're a lot cheaper second hand, I think it should be possible to polish them out but then again while they're bad enough to mark the light cover, they're not affecting the light beam as they're of the "one horizontal, one vertical" kind. Just looks a little shit but then again cat D applies again. The owner already swapped the light that was badly affected so these are just scratched.

I'll have to have another heart-to-heart with the owner but so far this VX220 comes out top.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Indeed... anyone want a Ibiza TDI Sport with sensible mods, as in TT front brakes / remap / strut brace etc?

I'm trying to work out if I can afford Timos Integra or not if it's not sold yet.

LOL

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH