FS: Impreza

Due to the recent loss of my father, I have the rather sad task of selling his car.

It's a 1994L Subaru Impreza 1.8GL Automatic. Absolutely immaculate, as it's spent *most* of it's life in the garage. Carmine Red metallic with a grey (aren't all Japanese cars) interior. Steel wheels with OEM trims.

Here's the really unique selling point..... 12.5k miles from new, with MOTs to support.

I don't want to sell it, but it's no use to either myself or my brother.

Make me a sensible offer if interested.

It's currently in Manchester, but can be moved to South Wales if needs be.

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry to hear about that.

HFM!

Reply to
fishman

I didn't want to say, but there is a L-reg manual version of this motor(ok with 107k on it) on Autotrader for £650...

Reply to
Mike P

Exactly.

12.5k miles..... that's quite a large difference to 107k miles.

You're effectively buying a nearly new car for under £2k.

I'm very tempted to stick it in a lockup, keep it serviced, take it for a run every month, until all the turbo Imprezas have been crashed or blown up.....

Reply to
SteveH

It is, but going off that logic my mum's 2001 Jimny (ugh) with 17k on it is worth way more than the £2000 it probably is worth.. it's in perfect nick, but it's been pottered around town for 5 years and is probably totally coked up.. Plus it's a Scooby and they go forever, so 107k aint that much ;-)

I do see your point, but I think you might be expecting a *little* too much.

Now that is not a bad idea :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I see where you're coming from, however, this car is a real timewarp car

- it's just as the day it came out of the showroom. You really have to see it to believe it.

Well, it's a starting price, innit. I've looked on Autotrader and found dealers selling 60-100k mile cars for £1800. OK, they may not get £1800, but they wouldn't be asking if they didn't think they had a chance of getting it.

Aye, seriously tempting. In another 5-10 years it'll probably be worth something.

Reply to
SteveH

Check that opinion against reality: I have just bought a time warp 1991 Alfa 75 Twin Spark (9.000 km on the clock), full ops (also the leather interior) for

500 Eur.

The owner, disabled from the chest down through a bike accident 13 years ago, passed away. He couldn't part with the car which has been sitting in his garage (under a blanket!) only to come out every once and a while to be washed.

I changed the tires (were cracked) and at the (Belgian equivalent of ) MOT they couldn't believe the mileage. The car looks like it rolled out of the showroom, it's my first Alfa 75 on which all electricals work. It's so new that I feel guilty driving it.

When I spotted the ad for the car, I went to see to get a cheap trackcar. When I toke the cover off and heared the asking price I must have broken the world record for buying and paying for a car.

I was the second one on the scene. The dealer who sold the car in 1991 (and who is 200m down the road) refused to pay 500 Eur, his best offer was 300 Eur and "he would handle all paperwork" (in Belgium you can not sell a car without a valid MOT)...

So : sorry. If you keep a car for 5 to 10 years in a lockup, the chanches that you will get more money than now are pretty slim.

Tom De Moor - Alfisti again

Reply to
Tom De Moor

That's just a numpty seller asking way less than the car is worth, though.

In the UK, you'd quite easily get £3k, if not more, for that car.

Reply to
SteveH

If that was case, why didn't the dealer who looked at the car pay the E500 asking price rather than offering E300?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Greed. Laziness. Opportunistic.

Reply to
DervMan

All quite possible but the fact remains that he offered only 300 Eur.

On paper the car is 15 years old and needs 10-12 liter super unleaded (98 RON) per 100 km.

And yes : I now could sell the car for about 6-8 times what I paid for but then I don't sell cars for a living, I like to keep my toys and I too have fond memories of the 75.

Yes again: even for a normal person 3000-4000 Eur for getting a newish car with

150 HP, 5 real places seems a bargain but reality is that nobody wants a 15 year old "new" car.

I know : there are exceptions to this rule. Some classics go up in price, but even most of the "classics" go down and down a lot, then they either stay at a certain price or dissapear.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yes. I don't know the car, I was just volunteering why I'd try to scam somebody out of a genuinely cheap car. If ?500 is stupidly cheap, maybe ?300 would be an easier scam? :)

Reply to
DervMan

HFM?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh, I knew someone would say that.

I'm asking £1800, would settle on £1500.

It's the 5 door hatch / estate version, so I reckon that's a bloody fair price.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm sorry to hear that.

Age doesn't help, but engine choice and transmission help. It's no fireball but it ought to go on and on... the 1.8 is AWD isn't it?

Possibly, but it could work the other way.

I'll drive it from Manchester to South Wales? :)

But seriously, try the Welsh Young Farmers Clubs. All wheel drive Subaru Estates were *the* thing to have for moving hale, sheep, other YFC members, kegs of beer, so on and so forth. Because it's an automatic you probably won't watch some spotty 21 year oil yoof drive it away to stick on tat, then again you might...

Reply to
DervMan

Sorry, I could get a Legacy 2.5 for that money.

I don't subscribe to the "ultra low miles is good" philosophy. Any really low miler like that one usually needs a shedful of work (hoses and bushes at least). Cars need to be run regularly to stay in good nick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You might be waiting for a while. Turbo Imprezas stick to the road like shit to a blanket.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Now when pikeys can't afford decent tyres and drive like idiots... they stick well... but do fall off.

Reply to
DervMan

Dealers only pay trade, and that was the street to joe public. Dealers=20 never pay that, they deal.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Jeez, you must be *really* old to say that with a straight face.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts