FS: Winter wheels/Golf-shaped mobile road block

Since I finally got my arse in gear and got the personal plate off the Golf and I also got all the issues known to me sorted out, it's obviously time to put it up for sale. Especially as the replacement is in the offing and due to be collected next weekend.

It's a silver 2000/W Mk IV Golf TDI SE Estate, 146k on the clock, MOTd until Jan, Tax until July. It's the 90bhp TDI so while it's good on fuel, you're not going R1-hunting in it.

E/W all around, working aircon (freshly regassed), central locking with remote etc blah blah. 2 sets of wheels (one steel, one alloy). Service history with plenty of receipts. Good nick overall, it has a couple of scratches on the roof (presumably from loading and unloading a roof rack

- were there when I bought the car), the rear bumper cover looks like it's had a respray but IIRC I HPId the car any nothing showed. Oh, and the driver's side mirror cover is slightly lose, but the mirror and its adjustments work fine.

It's just had the following done:

- Waterpump & timing belt with tensioners. The guy who changed the belt and pump 10k ago must've used the cheapest piece of shit pump he could find and that had started leaking a little. Had that sorted out before it turned into a problem.

- Aircon regassed as above

- New front disks & pads

I'd probably give it an oil change within the next 2-3k but that's all I can think of as a 'need' maintenance-wise.

Located in Ashford, Kent. UKRM/UKRCM price 1750.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

146K! More like 750.
Reply to
Greybeard

Ah yes... you drive a Peugeot, don't you... which will almost certainly be why you're amazed at how any car could be worth sensible money at those miles. :-P

Go forth and look on eBay at how much Mk4s of this ilk are fetching...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I know it's a strange concept but some of us actually do a little research before putting a price on a vehicle :-P.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Which is probably why you've worked out that the great british public will fight to the death for a MKIV Golf TDI. I don't care what car enthusiasts think or how good or bad the cars are, the market says they're worth money, so that's the end of it. I reckon you'll see that sort of money for it any day of the week.

People are skint and relevant or not in the grand scheme of things, the thought of 50mpg turns peoples heads.

******

Just checked Autotrader, apart from one mega miles TDI and an SDI which is untouchable if you're not insane, your car is bottom money for the spec, age and miles.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yep, especially now , down here at least, the smelly stuff is the same price as petrol. My old Xsara just surprised me by getting 48mpg this week even though I've been driving it "quite hard"..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Perspective of post corrected. :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Round here I keep seeing proper fuel 1-2p/l more than derv. I just drive on, and on after all the 1.9 TDi happily returns 70+ mpg if driven softly.

Reply to
Depresion

I still think the best approach is to do less miles in general, such that any difference is pretty insignificant, if saving money is the main objective.

My Xantia does 27mpg driven very loudly.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Believe it or not... not everyone who drives a TDI does it to save money.

Some people like the power delivery - tis one of the reasons I tend to have them tbh.

The fact they'll do that much more to the gallon than an invariably slower petrol equivalent, is a bonus. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Yes, same here. I could squeeze the same mpg out of a petrol 1.4 Xsara or similar, but it would be torturous to do so. At least the TD has a *bit* of oomph. I'm not a great fan of the power delivery , it runs out too soon. My engine of choice would be a petrol turbo.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Uh oh, *this* argument again.

Personally, if all biscuits cost the same per packet and all packets had the same amount of biscuits, I'd buy nice boasters rather than the invariably not as good hob-nobs.

I can put up with the flavour delivery and taste of a hob-nob because it costs less per biscuit.

I guess it's possible that some people prefer hob-nobs over boasters. However, it's much more likely that they just say that cos they are tight and have convinced themselves the cheaper biscuit is better.

A bit like choosing a hybrid not-quite biscuit, like a jaffa cake, for tax reasons then telling everyone how great they are. People like this still harbour boaster fantasies.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's no argument.

I like certain petrol cars... I like certain diesel cars.

Overall, I prefer my poke TDI flavoured having refreshed my memory of late by way of test driving various petrols and having found none really covered all bases in the way my Ibiza does power train wise, but I can also appreciate why others prefer their poke to be delivered in the way a petrol will invariably deliver it, which I'm afraid is where some others fall down when bickering over this particular conundrum.

The point I was making above, is AVM proffered the usual 'you only buy one of those because of this specific reason' line offered up by the anti-dieselisti, when such a sweeping statement is, to be blunt, bollocks.

That, and I have a 600cc sports bike parked outside which has f*ck all power below 7k rpm and needs its neck wringing to get at the poke between there and the 13k redline... so I'm obviously totally pro diesel and anti petrol, eh.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Try a decently mapped VAG TDI... they're a lot more pokey and flexible than a HDI, even a mapped one IME.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Oooh, you're so wrong! Plain chocolate hobnobs are far nicer than boasters.

But then I drive a diesel too...

Reply to
Clive George

Hobnobs are a far better biscuit. I'm quite satisfied after a couple of them, but I can eat an entire packet of boasters..

Mike p

Reply to
Mike P

Hmm, have you tried dipping your boasters in injector cleaner?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

HDI? You think I've spent that much on a Xsara..? Mine's one of the old skool TDs. Ball of fire it ain't. It's fast cornering I find diesels not great at. In the Puma or MX-5 for example, I can drop a gear and be doing

5-5.5krpm and have it singing as I power out of the bend, I always seem to have to change gear at the wrong time with a diesel. Sounds like a mapped VAG lump might get round some of that.

Heh, I'm tempted by the Xantia Activa when he wants to flog it. That means I have to find a buyer for the Puma and he has to get his Golf off my drive. That's one option, or I could flog the Puma and buy another MX-5, or 5-series wagon. Which is a bad idea. But I still want one.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

They go soggy and absorb too much. Hobnobs don't, they don't even absorb much oil or crud when you are working on the car and stop for a cuppa

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I'm not a fan of most modern TDs power delivery. I blame the Germans.

Reply to
Douglas Payne