golf mk2 gti 3dr drivers door leak....

Yup, the usual one. So I carried out a modification of my own, following instructions from t'internet I have totally *covered* the inner shell of the drivers door in waterproof duct tape, leaving only tiny apertures for speaker cables and door fittings, and de-bunged the drain holes on the door bottoms.

I also ordered new non-vw membranes, but they probably wont arrive until next week sometime, so the door card went back on meantime.

Fingers crossed. I still haven't done anything about the dropped door hinge, other than move the striker plate in and down a touch. Hopefully the door isn't leaking via the main seal, the next rain should tell me....

btw do any of you fellas have a mk2?

Reply to
tomScotland

I've had a few, Doki's got one, and AshtrayVanMan has one of my old ones.

Don't know about the leak though, all mine have been dry.

Reply to
Pete M

I have a MK3 which is obviously completely different and apparently utterly crap according to popular opinion.

I am currently being tempted by the 156 Sportwagon.

Again.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is this because the Golf is crap?

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Au contraire.

Because it's there.

The golf does 40 to the gallon, has a little grunt when required and will happily pull from 800rpm in top gear. It suits me.

P.S. JT7B - or is it C - hit the floor last night.

200mm longer, endurance fuel tank. 20kg lighter. Around 50mm lower to the roll hoop.

You are officially reported missing, so best check in with Rotor central some time soon.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Aye, I've got one. All door leaks on all cars are the same - water gets past the window slot seal, the membrane / other seal (Passats have a bit of pressed alloy IIRC) is broken somewhere, and it gets into the door. The VW repair membrane are basically sheets of 3mm or so closed cell foam. On a MK2 you can shape these fairly easily (no major funny curves as the door cards are very nearly flat), and stick them down. I've yet to find something spot on for sticking them down with - IDL 99 Caravan sealant seems to work fairly well (and can be used around things you may want to move in the future), or Tigerseal if you want something permanent.

Reply to
Doki