Fuel pump pressure?

Hi All,

Whilst taking the 2L Pinto out of my 82 Sierra for the kit car I was thinking about the fuel supply 'issues'. I say 'issues' because the kit car uses std MkII Escort (van) tank , single feed pipe to the mechanical pump > 1300 Kent (also as per a 78 MKII).

The Sierra had a slightly more complicated system ie:.

Tank, pump, regulator valve to carb OR retun pipe pack to tank?

Now I think the flow / return system was in place to avoid over pressuring the carb and to keep the fuel cool but to fit a similar system in the kit car will be messy (but not impossible)

So, I have bought a basic (solenoid type) electric fuel pump (eBay) in the hope that it will be able to replace the need for all the re-plumbing, but I was unsure what sort of pressure I would need? It states it's around 4psi and would suit an engine size from 1500 > 3L (so my 2L 'stock' engine should not be too much for it from a flow point of view) but what of the pressure?

Anyone know what the max pressure a std Pinto fuel pump youd deliver and more importantly what sort of pressure would be seen after the pressure / flow (?) regulator and at the carb itself (my Weber carb has just an inlet stub, no return out the other side).

What would be the consequences of NOT using the flow return system or over pressure at the carb please?

All the best and thanks ..

T i m

p.s. Using an electric fuel pump I can also fit a hidden cuttoff switch which should let the thieves get far enough away before it cuts out but still within rifle range

Reply to
T i m