Fuel pump pressure

Hi All,

I posted this on u.r.c.mods but no reply as yet so I thought I'd try the learned folk here:

Whilst taking the 2L Pinto out of my 82 Sierra for the kit car I was thinking about the fuel supply 'issues'. I say 'issues' because the kit car uses std MkII Escort (van) tank , single feed pipe to the mechanical pump > 1300 Kent (also as per a 78 MKII).

The Sierra had a slightly more complicated system ie:.

Tank, pump, regulator valve to carb OR retun pipe pack to tank?

Now I think the flow / return system was in place to avoid over pressuring the carb and to keep the fuel cool but to fit a similar system in the kit car will be messy (but not impossible)

So, I have bought a basic (solenoid type) electric fuel pump (eBay) in the hope that it will be able to replace the need for all the re-plumbing, but I was unsure what sort of pressure I would need? It states it's around 4psi and would suit an engine size from 1500 > 3L (so my 2L 'stock' engine should not be too much for it from a flow point of view) but what of the pressure?

Anyone know what the max pressure a std Pinto fuel pump youd deliver and more importantly what sort of pressure would be seen after the pressure / flow (?) regulator and at the carb itself (my Weber carb has just an inlet stub, no return out the other side).

What would be the consequences of NOT using the flow return system or over pressure at the carb please?

All the best and thanks ..

T i m

p.s. Using an electric fuel pump I can also fit a hidden cuttoff switch which should let the thieves get far enough away before it cuts out but still within rifle range ..

"Head shot"!

Reply to
T i m

2 to 4 psi is adequate for normal carbs and usage. The return system is principally there to keep the fuel cool and air free, there is the added benefit of a steadier pressure too. Your system would be fine as is, if you can, then add the return system and gain some protection from heat vapour lock when stuck in summer traffic jams. If you like you could always add a pressure regulator like a 'filter king', but it is not essential.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

So we are ok from a pressure point ove view then ..

The return system is

Ah .. ok ..

Your system would be fine as is,

At least to get me going re the conversion then?

if you

Good point .. the Rickman man did mention there wasn't as much room in the Ranger engine bay as with the Sierra so a flow / return system may be worth going for? I am going to have to re run the fuel line down the n/s chassis member and so could incorporate a split system at the same time? I thought I could either fit a bolt up fitting for the return into the tank into the sender unit fitting (saves modding the tank itself) or maybe into what is currently the vent pipe and arrange a vent via the fuel filler cap?

Are you familar with the fuel 'valve' as was fitted to my 82 Sierra? Are they reliable (seems to have been so for the last 97k / 22 years ..) .. would it be worth fitting a new one if I go back to the f/r system?

If you like you could always add a

Is that a filter *and* pressure (flow?) regulator then? Can you adjust the *whatever* or do you just buy the right one for the job?

Thanks for all the help .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m