GT4

After losing out on the last GT4 I was interested in I've now found another one. The only thing is the seller is saying there is a "head gasket fault", that causes the car to overheat (but not on long journeys, he says). Anyone know what this fault is likely to be? Are these cars known for cylinder head problems? If it's a common enough fault how expensive is it to repair?

Thanks.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nottoday.invalid spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Headgaskets do blow, but normally when they have had the boost ragged right up.

Signup for the forums for the gt4oc.net site, and see if anyone there will be willing to come along and have a look see. Fair few of us up north.

Beware pricing though. Toyota price it as a 17hour job doing the HG.

It may just be the stat or rad fan gone (or may have caused the gasket to blow). Mine gets to 50% on the temp guage in traffic and stays there. the fan cycles in and out when crawling at those temps. Much more and I reckon it would get very hot very quickly.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've signed up for the forums, username is Kashmir.

I'd have a go at replacing the gasket myself assuming it is a diy job that is. I'm just wondering if it may be more than a gasket though.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

I'm just wondering

hmmm the MR2 turbo has the same engine as the GT4 and head gasket going is pretty rare but it happens but as carl said with the GT4 only on messed about cars it seems. is it an ST 185 or an ST205 your going for? i know the ST 185 had the same early spec engine as my revision 2 MR2 turbo and they do have slightly weaker heads compared to the later revision 3 cars which shared the same engine as the ST205

best bet is get a friendly bod from the owners club to tag along, most are pretty willing i find.

Reply to
Vamp

I wouldnt unless you know the torque patterns, you could do more harm than good.

Reply to
REMUS

Unless the car is (almost) free, then walk away !

Reply to
Nom

It is, but there is no UK Haynes for the ST165 and 185 (mine and earlier), don't know about the ST205.

I had to buy a US Chiltern manual which just happens to cover the ST185 and ST165 alongside the non turbo non 4wd versions. It also just happens to be published by Haynes. It's not bad, but even less relevant picture than a UK haynes.

Loads of useful Data though (measurements, bolt torque, EFI settings and resistance/voltage measurements for various sensors). It's as thick as a fiar sized city phone book.

if you have a owrkshop, and no immediate need for the car, have a manual, and know your way arround a cambelt based DOHC engine, you should be OK.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The car is an st185 (The best looking body shape IMO.)

Good idea. Not long left on the auction now though.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

you can get the toyota manuals on CD on ebay, a few from the IMOC have them

Reply to
Vamp

i've got one if you (or vamp) want it. brought it with it saying it was for mk1 and mk2 MR2s, but its only for mk2s.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

i'll have it! or a copy :)

does it include the turbo? if not then it's useless as the N/A MR2 is different

Reply to
Vamp

yep, it includes the 3S-GTE engine. i'll send it your way!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk=20 spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

ge

I've bought a paper Chiltern for =A318+ postage a few weeks back now, but= =20 I'm always trawling the Peer-to-Peer sites for car stuff. Have a Toyota=20 EPC, but it's a bit complicated compared to some.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar