Beware "things" lying on motorways...

Coming home from the Motorbike show @ the NEC tonight, doing 80ish in the fast lane when something, don't ask me what it was, but it looked like a truck wheel, sans truck and tyre, appears in the fast lane /right/ in front of the Sierra....

.. which I proceeded to hit.

.. rather hard...

..hard enough to shatter the o/s/f alloy on the Sierra..

.. and puncture the o/s/r tyre..

.. and rip the o/s skirt off..

.. and the back box..

.. and manage to split open the inside of the o/s track control arm...

.. which pulls the driveshaft out (but not enough to damage it)

Fuxake.. poor old thing is outside dribbling EP90 all over the shop. Looks like I've got a day of rebuildage on tomorrow.

Reply to
Pete M

I would say - at least you're ok - but it always seems a bit inadequate and little consolation when you are ok and the car's a freakin' wreck. Don't supose there's much you can do about it either, other than fix it. See if you stuck to the spee.... i'll get my coat.

Reply to
Johnny

*passes coat*

Cheers fella.

4wd saves lives. If it'd been a 2wd Sierra, I suspect I'd not be here now.

Bit scary to say the least

Reply to
Pete M

Bet you're glad you didn't go on a bike.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Damn man! Your lucky it could of been alot of worse, but i'm glad you didn't get splattered, unless you were thinking of leaveing the twin turbo estate to me in your will :)

Reply to
REMUS

Saw a cardboard box on the M6. As I got closer I saw it wasn't a cardboard box but a big lump of rough cut timber about 40cm on a side. Gave it very wide berth.

Peter Hill

Funny, there was a truck wheel in lane 3 of the M1 last week. I avoided it and so did the people carrier a little way behind me. I was looking in my rear view mirror and saw the people carrier veer into lane 2 leaving the

3-series which was up it's arse staring at the wheel right in front of it.

Dunno what happened to the beemer.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

shouldn't laugh, cos hope the BMW guy was alright, but that did make me titter :)

Reply to
Bigus

What???? "BMW driver in tailgating shock"

Nah you must be mistaken :)

Reply to
Ronny

One of the mates was very nearly wiped out by a wheel/tyre that fell off a trailer a few years back - happy days.

Reply to
Johnny

why is that? it's not just an urban myth either. I've had beemer drivers tailgating even when i'm exceeding the speed limit. On the M1 I once had beemer get right on the back bumper and then start flash his lights - this was in the old GT - i let him past, let him go a way down the road before flooring it and blasting past in the inner lane at a signifant speed then pulled in front and slowed down to above the limit again and it seemed to cure him but what is it with them?

Reply to
Johnny

I know the car is a mashed and dribbely mess, but you have always been a lucky bastard haven't you.

Glad you got out of it in one piece.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

One dusk, I was belting down the A..erm.. Ponteland road, but maybe not the A68 bit. Near Kielder. Anyway, there was 'something' on the road as I was approaching at 90mph.

That something was a door. Somehow I managed to get it between the wheels and not clip it at all, and I measured it... it was about 4 inches narrower than the narrowest point of the 306's track.

Scary.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

i did 120mph once in my MK1 MR2 and i got tailed by a BMW 5 series followed by a merc on the A12! at

120 FFS! tossers shoulda tapped the brake and got my claim in :)
Reply to
Vamp

Darn. Still, coulda been worse, you coulda lost the car or your life!

Dan

Reply to
DanTXD

LOL !

Reply to
Nom

The good thins is that you're OK. Sorry to hear about the car.

A couple of years ago, I saw a carboard box on the M56 and slowed down thinking it might not be empty. It was just as well because the box was empty, but the car ahead of me that didn't slow down suddenly spun and veered off into the Armco. Several other cars ahead doing the same thing.

The box had been full of 1/2" and 1" ball bearings and the surface of the motorway was like sheet ice as cars skidded all over the place on them.

The other problem was that passing vehicles were picking up the ball bearings in their tyres and firing them all over the place like a shotgun. I still have a small dent in the front of the Ford to remind me of the day.

Reply to
Steve Firth

in news:1gn1iba.e8engybjt5vmN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) slurred :

LOL! I mean, I hope no-one was hurt and all, but the image of cars pirouetting, bouncing of the armco and firing ball bearings at each other is pretty cool.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Similar thing happened to me on a particularly dark and wet night on my way home, the day after buying my Carlton. I spied a lorry tyre carcass too late and rather than swerving or trying to ultimately outbrake it which I thought in the split seconds I had could cause more of an accident, I ran it over after having probably slowed down to 50 or 60.

Yeah, that happened.

I broke the front bumper, lost a foglight, 2 mudflaps, NS bodykit and utterly gubbed the gearbox. Well, all the fluid pissed out a cracked oil cooler line and it wouldn't go after I limped to the nearest layby. I had it recovered and I'm still not sure if it was the damage at the time of impact that wrote the 'box off or the bloke that "had a look at it" afterwards.

I eventually replaced the gearbox on mine, I was right chuffed with myself!

4 Haynes spanners. My previous prowess was a radiator on a Peugeot 205.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, no one hurt, several cars buggered though.

One moment was particularly terrifying - I saw a truck flick up a 1" ball bearing and for a moment it looked like it was heading straight for my face. Fortunately gravity took over and it fell underneath the car.

Reply to
Steve Firth