Hmm. European travel (a bit OT, prolly Ping: Dervy)

Here's a quandry.

I'm planning a trip to Czech sometime around Xmas, I've got a shedload of stuff I need to take with me, and I'm planning on bringing a load of stuff back with me so I'm thinking taking a vehicle is a good idea, and likely to be fun.

However, at this moment I only have a choice of two vehicles to take, the Scorpio or the Rangie (gearbox willing). The Rangie would be the better vehicle because it has a larger boot, 4wd, a towbar, a better stereo, and tyres more suitable to Czech winter conditions (-10 deg C)

So take the Rangie, I pretend to hear you saying (because that's what I'd really like to do...)

Unfortunately, it's likely to average around, um, 16 mpg and it's 970 milesish each way if I use the Eurotunnel. This means spending around £525 on fuel for the return trip - it's near as dammit 300 miles just to the bloody tunnel but the tunnel is £88 return, so say £615.

If I go by ferry from Hull to Rotterdam I can do the round trip in 1400 milesish (the ferry is 222 miles each way) so that's around £380 for fuel (fuel calculated at an average of 95p/litre). the ferry is £288 return. so £668.

According to the Routeplanner thing it'll take around 26 hours (one way) if I use the ferry, but there's 8 hours drinking and sleeping included in that (drinking not factored into costs yet), whereas it'll take 19 hours (no sleep or beer, one way) if I use the tunnel, these times don't include the Rangie breaking down or time taken stopping for fuel.

Advantages of the ferry are booze and sleep with a nice break in the driving for 8 hours or so, not having to go Dahhn Sahhhf, and 600 less miles for the Rangie to break down / blow up in.

Alternatively, using the Scorpio means finding winter tyres, but saving around 10 mpg so if I went by ferry it'd cost £415 return (fuel + tunnel not inc tyres). or £520 by ferry (not inc tyres).

So, there's a theoretical saving of near enough £275 if I use the Scorpio and don't fit winter tyres (probably lethal choice), then again, if I was going to be sensible I'd pay £60 for a return flight.

What would the group do? Please note, this doesn't include buying a beige Passat diesel or some other equally boring solution.

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Pete M, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Whoops, just realised the ferry leaves at 21:00 and arrives at 08:00 so that's 13 hours drinking and sleeping and 13 hours driving if I go by ferry. Hmm. Bonus.

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Pete M, managed to produce the

Oops, just worked out that'll be 11 hours eating and sleeping, and 15 hours driving... bonus.

I suspect that I've just answered my own question.

Reply to
Pete M

Which one has the best heater?

Reply to
Abo

Don't. Just don't. What driving on summer tyres in the snow can do to your car control can be witnessed every time it snows down here.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

And No Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaf

Reply to
Elder

Whate ferry are you taking. Hull to Rotterdam prices are all over the shop at the minute, but they do a 2 for 1 occasionally which would let you take a passenger.

Reply to
Doki

Stick a 300Tdi in the Rangie ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Geoff, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Ummmm, no.

Reply to
Pete M

Do I sense a hint there?

Reply to
Conor

No, that's just s**te driving.

Reply to
Conor

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Conor, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Have you driven on plenty of snow @ -10 deg?

I did in January in a Sierra 4x4 on winter tyres, it wasn't bad.

Just a shame the Scorpio is rwd and shod with 225/50/16 summer tyres really, I think Timo is probably right with this one.

Hey ho. Looks like it'll be the Rangie then.

Reply to
Pete M

Jings, they're even worse than I thought. It costs me about £400 to do a longer trip to Italy.

TBH I'd take the Rangie.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've never heard of the idea of changing tyres for winter. I've never crashed in the snow. Of course, this winter is my first with RWD, with s**te Nexan tyres, in a Clio V6 - so I might be about to re-write that...

Reply to
Iridium

Tssk.

Reply to
Steve Firth

16mpg is pretty much "worst case scenario". It /should/ be capable of 20ish mpg on a run, I've had 22 out of it, and it's a long, mainly motoway, run so it should do 18-20 overall over the trip. 330 bhp, 2 tons, 4wd, turbocharged and old. S'not too bad really.
Reply to
Pete M

Was referring to the comments about tales of woe in the "winter" those Dahn Saaarf seem to have despite those of us up here with it worse seemingly not having the same issues.

LOL.

Reply to
Conor

Thats the problem, it doesn't happen as much so people don't know what to do. Most of them should just walk TBH.

Last time it snowed properly here it must have been 3 years ago (maybe 4) and I was out all evening driving round the local lanes in my Volvo 340. Great fun! Wish I'd had been in my XR4x4 though!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Three letters - not even words.

L-P-G

My kit was 400 quid remember, and now that it has settled in and really learnt the settings well, it is running pretty much perfectly. You would see most of the cost back in that one trip...

It is a ballache if you can't quite be fecked with installing it though - I do accept that. Mine was relatively painless to fit though.

Here's the link to the kit I bought.

(Remember, that's sequential injection, so it will get on quite famously with a turbocharged engine. Basically, if has Bosch plugged injectors on there just now, it will work, end of story)

Gets coat...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Bob Sherunckle, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

You're preaching to the converted, man...

I know, but it's the bit below..

That bit.

Oooh.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the Rangie has a weird set up re:injectors. Extra injectors for when it comes on boost etc. Properly strange set up. Standard Rangie ECU does most of the work with a Zytec something or other controlling the boost. I /think/ the Zytec thing controls the extra injectors as well.

Gets anorak...

Reply to
Pete M