I'm pretty much set on a W124 probably a 300E Petrol

Sounds like all of my cars except the Octavia. And that just sucked the life of me in an efficient effortless manner. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it just wasn't right.

Reply to
Elder

Autotrader currently shows 262 Diesel CLS for sale and 96 petrol powered ones for sale.

The price of ploughing your own furrow and going for the big petrol engine seems high then.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've found another site that says 1437.8Kg Another that says 1316kg Then I found this one that says "Weights: gross vehicle weight rating

1,919kg, curb weight 1,474kg"

So who knows. I know that the leather heated electric recaros, sunroof motor and assorted aircon/climate gubbins and even the turbo and intercooler add a load of weight over the original base model 2.0 injection with poverty exercise windows and a sweaty blower fan and exclusive print interior by Stevie Wonder.

Reply to
Elder

If that's what you want dude, go for it, but I'm not sure I'd beleive the mileage on that one. Also, for the sake of £3, it's well worth doing a 'Text Check' - text the reg to 83600 and it gives you all the stuff you need to know.

I recommend it because we were about to bid on a Saxo for my mates fiance's little brother, and then just I was about to bid, and that advert was on, TV was on Dave and it was ads during a Top Gear heh, so we thought for the sake of £3, why not eh? So we sent it off, and the first text came back saying it had no finance owing etc, then the 2nd text came and said it had been an insurance write off in November 2005, and put back on the road in May 2006 - I can't remember if it said the catagory of write off, but I've a tiny inkling it did and it was Cat C and that's how I figured it knew when it was put back on the road, 'cos it had been, is it an SVA test you need after a Cat C?

But anyway, we were about to bid on the car and that £3 saved us the trip over there to Leeds and then come home empty handed because my mate would be

100% bound to pick up the paintwork etc - he has an amazing eye for stuff like that, mainly used for picking up scratches we can't even see on his car and being anal about them :-) Or if he didn't, then we'd have a car that had been Cat C written off, which we paid too much for, as it's Cat C value would've been less, and we could've had a straight one for the money.
Reply to
DanB

Well, it's no way 1960kg is right hehe, I'd go with the 1400s - split em, so about 1450, that sounds reasonable.

Reply to
DanB

Well, gross vehicle weight is exactly what it says on the tin - the max weight of the vehicle, complete with contents, when fully laden as per its design specs. Kerb weight is what it weighs before you get in it. At a guess, most cars won't weight more than the kerb weight plus 150kg tops most of the time (driver + various assorted items of crap in the back/front/whatever).

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Who... gives... a... f*ck, what it says on paper?

It's what it feels like when you're flinging it around that counts, really if we're honest.

Reply to
JackH

Nah, just basically a strict MOT and a certificate signed by the tester to say it is roadworthy + an MOT Cert. Cat C and D are bugger all, can be something simple as an expensive bumper on a cheap old car. It is only a problem if you plan to try and trade it in as a lot of the trade won't touch anything with a category write off.

Reply to
Elder

Is the wrong answer.

It has to go to a VOSA centre for a VIC check if Cat C, before DVLA will issue a logbook for it, and the VIC check is merely an ID check rather than a roadworthiness or quality of repair check, although they reserve judgement to refuse to issue one if a vehicle blatantly shouldn't be put back on the road in the state it's presented to VOSA.

If you're not lucky enough to at least have the green slip from the old logbook, you can't tax it until this has happened.

If it has no tax, they have been known to ask to see the trailer on which the vehicle arrived at the centre, as you don't get any dispensation with regards to no tax like you do if you're taking the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

|66%3A2|65%3A7|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14>>

Dude don't reject it on silly things like that! It's obviously in pretty good nick, it has a very good history (although why is it still in the previous owners name, yet the V5 is present?), plenty of MOT and even some tax! The interior will look loads nicer in the flesh, don't write it off just cos it's more than 5 miles from your house - compared to the other one with '65,000 + whatever miles' this one would appear to be a really good buy if it stays around that price....

Reply to
DanB

166miles right into the heart of SteveH country.

Last two times I travelled that sort of distance was the Rangie and the Saab convertible. And look what happened to them.

Reply to
Elder

VIC check - that's the one :-) I knew Cat C needed something.

And in reply to Carl with "Cat C or D are bugger all, can be something simple on an expensive old car" - you must have missed the words 'Saxo' :-) It was only 4ish years old in 05 when it was written off (2001 Y plate), they held value ok and even dealer parts were cheap, so it was probably a fair smack that managed to make it not just a D but a Cat C. My guess would be a lot of paint work for a start, no doubt done on the cheap, and god knows what else, jigged maybe? My mates brother crashed his Saxo 5 or 6 times (bought from new - 1.1, yellow...) and the ins'co just kept fixing it, including 3 jiggings! He kept it for 2 years then traded it in for a Corsa heh.

Reply to
DanB

Apart from the distance this looks more like it

I could live with Silver because that interior is so much nicer.

Reply to
Elder

Here's your pipe and slippers, Sir!

Reply to
Conor

Wonder why he's tinted or replaced the rear lights, and probably swapped the fronts for clear indicators, and left the repeaters bright orange :-) You'd have to sort that - preferably with standard rear lights - but with no orange bits, just red and white. YKIMS.

Reply to
DanB

I look set to be using the flat in London

So I'd use the NC/Westway to get to work from the flat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Would this be any good?

Chap bought it for very sensible money, but it's - um - a bit of a hike from Warrington.

Reply to
Pete M

Does look quite nice. Go on then, where is it?

Reply to
Elder

France.

Reply to
Pete M

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's a very presentable white W124 Coupe round here for a grand, if anybody's interested (NW corner of M25). Dunno what engine, but I could be persuaded to go and have a wander and get more details.

Reply to
Adrian