Jaguar XJS V12 LPG

Any idea what sort of mpg one could achieve out of this - very little town driving, but when on the motorway it's very early in the morning and quite deserted, and a penchant for kickdown when on A roads. Is about 8mpg average realistic? Shit, that's still only equivalent to about 16mpg if LPG's half the price of petrol.

But then it's a V12.

Ok, how likely is it to break?

It's this that's inspired this mad ramble by the way:

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:2hLLd.179$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

you'll get between 8 and about 13 mpg from it.

Incredibly. Most of it's probably broken already. The handbrake will be knackered, that's for certain.

Don't... just.... don't..

Reply to
Pete M

Thats what i was about to say :) At a gentle cruise i'm sure you could get the price equivalent of about 30mpg or summet :)

Quite likely - but i beleive the engines are quite sound aren't they? Its everything else that breaks :) But then, it IS a V12.

Do it :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Not too terrible when on LPG then? Mind you, is this one of those engines that one would notice a massive drop in economy when using LPG? I've heard that some are worse than others (relative to economy on petrol) when ran on gas.

What things are more likely to break? Are engine and box likely to be fairly bulletproof, or is either one of them weak?

You've got more years of experience than Dan, so I think I'll take your "don't" over his "do" :)

Ok, how about this one?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Lets also not forget, whereas i know sweet FA about them, except they have a V12 and break a lot, the former being more important, PeteM has probly owned a few :) But my heart was in it for V12 :D

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

possibly.

The engines are sound as long as you buy a good one. Timing chains, water pumps, valve guides etc are hard to assess on ebay.

I'd not go near another V12 XJ-S, and I adore Jags.

No doubt he'll bid anyway, so here's a list of things to look out for

Shock absorbers - there's 6 on an XJ-S Brakes - front discs will be warped, rears will be covered in rust rear brakes - inboard jobs, don't work, bind on, wreck the seals in the LSD handbrake - won't work timing chain - if you can hear it, run away, 1500 rpm will make it audible misfires - if you can detect one, run away wiring faults - the windows will work, but that'll be about it aircon - if it doesn't work properly, run away. heater - if it doesn't work properly, run away oil pressure - if it's not got at least 40 psi when warm, run away temp - if it gets above half way, run away rust - check everywhere, the chassis has a nasty habit of turning to dust just above the rear subframe mountings. exhausts - you have to remove the rear axle to change the exhaust on some of them. brakes (again) - hold brake pedal, if it starts to sink to the floor, run away

Nice cars though.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:apLLd.182$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

it's cheap, but it's white.

I like Xantias.

Reply to
Pete M

I didn't mean to link to that one, this is what I meant:

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

LOL - I think I'll steer clear of this one just in case. Probably wants a fair bit more than the current bids stand at anyway.

Heh - I'd have to give serious thought before ever considering something like that then!

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

really? bloody 'ell.. is that to support the weight of the V12 at the front or something?

had to replace the front discs on my XJ40 but they weren't particularly expensive.. unless the V12 uses uprated discs or something.

that'd probably just need re-gassing wouldn't it? £80 perhaps?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

In news:rDLLd.187$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Looks a bit HFM to me. Starting at £5500 for an ex plod T5?

That'll be on 0 bids for quite a while then.

Mate of mine's [1] just bought one a year older for £2000, and his isn't an ex-plod one. Ok, it's the older shape, but it's a mint car, with leather, it's not white, and it's less than half that guys start price.

You can get C70's for £5500.....

[1]He's the geezer with the 850 2.5 20v Steve H didn't buy.
Reply to
Pete M
[...]

More likely than this :)

Alistair J Murray

a-Haaaa!

You've obviously never been to Fountains Garage then.

bit legendary that place. "Yeeeeeee-Hawwwww"

Reply to
Pete M

sheltered

Xantias are fantastic once you get used to the lack of feedback from the road. Did 650 miles in mine ( M reg TD) yesterday! Not a single ache or pain, but the clutch ate itself 3 miles from home late last night. Bugger. Mine's only done 93K, one owner but I bet he was a clutch-riding old git :-( Anyway, the Xantia taxi that picked my up at the garage this morning had

335k on it and was still going strong..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" wrote

Mike! You have email!!

Reply to
fishman

Hmm, think'll I'll have a quick read of urcm while I eat my delicious Muller Light [1] [2]

SWMBO is now asking why I have white snot coming out my nose and a pebbledashed laptop.

[1] Baked apple and cinnamon flavour. WTF happened to "you can have strawberry or toffee"? [2] Cool advert. Just call me an advertiser's dream.
Reply to
Grant

I'd have thought any ex-plod car was a *BAD* idea, unless it cost peanuts (ie, not £5K !).

It's been maintained by the lowest bidder, cained to within an inch of it's life on a very regular basis (sometimes from cold), and they're unlikely to have got rid of it if it was in perfect working order. You also get special Police-spec (for Police, read Poverty) into the bargain.

Reply to
Nom

That's truly an *excellent* advert !

"mega miles" indeed :)

Reply to
Nom
[...]

Stetson wearers?

Alistair J Murray

15 mpg used gently. Single figures if donutting.

And unlikely to be firing on the front two...

Very

Reply to
Tim S Kemp