looms and wiring and otehr stuff

I've asked this everywhere I can, so here's another place I forgot about :)

I have a twincam sierra (8V) it uses almost, but not quite, the same engine as the RS2000 escorts (the obvious difference being the 8 extra valves) this is an almost identical engine to the Scorpio 2.0 16V bar the cam profiles an almost identical engine lives under the bonnet of the 2.3 Scorpio, the difference in this is that is has balancer shafts at the bottom losing these would mean using a shorter sump but would result in no oil pressure (or so I'm told) all the engines use the same sort of looms and engine sensors apart from the sierra unit, which doesn't use a cam phase sensor and has a distributor on the end of the cam rather than using twin coilpacks the question is this, how do I get the coil packs to fire? and can is use the other bits of the sierra loom to work the rest of the engine as everything else is the same?

someone must know here

Reply to
dojj

Sounds to me like it would be easy enough? Removing balance shafts would mean pluging up oilways only (weld them) I doubt you could notice the extras vibration. The twin bike style coils are much better than a distrib too if you can organise the right bits.

Coil packs... You need only a power to each, and a signal to each. The signal will be split so the two outside cylinders, and the two inside ones get the same trigger and fire each double ended coil together. One fires at the end of the exhaust stroke, while the other fires the real mixture. Its called a wasted spark system. Somewhere on the loom there will be a connector block that has each signal wire. (the spark happens when the negative wire goes open circuit. This fires 1 and 4, or 2 and 3 together) They WILL be there. The other wire that used to (or would normally) go to the coil negative (that fires every 180 degrees) is not used with dual coil systems. In a single coil system you need a distrib because the spark happens every 180 degrees. Usually at same plug and socket where the coil wires plug in there will be the two other (360 degree pulses but 180 degree apart) ones you need unused?

If there is a difference it will most likely only be a plug in part of the loom that goes from coil to "main loom". Looking at both setups side by side with a bit of common will show the difference.

If its not then the whole loom, and the em will be different. Thats not likely.

Reply to
Burgerman

And of course I forgot! You will need the actual computer em box as the mapping will be different too! Or it will run crap!

Reply to
Burgerman

Why do you want to run the coil packs in you engine?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Because its better! No rotor arm, cap, coil doing half the work, damp inside cap cannot happen etc.

Reply to
Burgerman

On a 8v TC Sierra motor? waste of money, an engine swap would be better.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Admitedly it wont give more power but less parts better setup. Maybe he has them.

Reply to
Burgerman

the engine runs coil packs so if I am transplanting it I also need to run coil packs if I didn't run coil packs how else would I fire the sparks? there is no cam to drive the distributor like there is on the 8V sierra unit, and there is also the matter of having different front cover and rocker cover to accommodate this

and seeing as the whole reason for the engine swap is due to the rocker cover on the sierra being porous and there is nothing else to switch it for, I think that swapping the engine just to stop the rocker cover leaking a bit drastic, but at the end of the day, it's something that hasn't happened in the past on a sierra though the escort boys have done a few 2.3 conversions into the mk6 they also had to remove the balancer shafts and had to find the engine from a galaxy due to the blocks being different for fwd and rwd applications

also, there is the 4wd aspect to consider as well as forced induction and the rest of the hot engine stuff ;)

Reply to
dojj

All well and dandy but you never actually said what engine you're putting in the Sierra

Reply to
ThePunisher

The coil packs just do the same thing as the coil, etc, but you don't want to fit old timing gear onto an engine that is set up for an EMS to control it.

Downside, Ford integrate a PATS security system into the EMS so you have a whole bunch of electrics to add into the target vehicle.

I think the keys are basically the same so if you were to rebuild the locks in the Sierra or have some PATS keys cut to the old lock spec, and programme them somehow, then you could transplant the whole shebang, EMS, PATS, exhaust sensors, the lot, and slap a 2.3 Scorpio engine into the box, or maybe the 2.0

16v which is fair, 135 BHP as I recall.

TBH if you are just after power, a rover v8 Sierra is achievable, and maybe cheaper on insurance. Probably weighs less as well.

And you could put a 16v badge on the back, and people wouldn't realise it was true :)

Reply to
Questions

Mine said 1.6L Much cooler... Then debadged.

Reply to
Burgerman