My family's credit score .

> "Chris Torek"

[...]
>> Having a higher limit on the credit cards (with less money out on >>> it) improves the score. >> >> Just the opposite. CC's are good for initially establishing a good >> credit >> history. But, having a lot of unsecured credit hurts your score. Credit >> scorers look at 6 or 10 credit cards with credit limits of $5,000 each, >> all with zero balances, as potential debt of $30,000 to $50,000 even >> though you don't owe a penny. >> >> It is much better to keep only a couple cc's with reasonable credit >> limits. >> Don't accept the cc companies' regular [usually annual] raising of the >> limits. >> >> I've had banks offer me cards with limits of $25,000 and still want to >> raise the limit every year. Refuse these offers and maintain a saner >> credit limit. > > maybe not so. > that brazen old hag, suze orman , is doing seminars telling people that > what > matters alot in your FICO is your "credit in use" level --aka amount of > debt > you have / credit available to you . something like 20-30% in use is > considered ok, and gets lower scored as it rises.

My understanding is different. Maybe it matters what kind of credit it is: secured versus unsecured. Perhaps they treat asset backed debt differently.

this theory would portend that someone who has a too high 'use' level > should > GET MORE CARDS !?.. and hence raise their available credit divisor ? > > she also says History length is important-- therefore do NOT cancel old > cards/accounts... for you truncate your credit history when you do.

That I do agree with. Length matters. Get rid of the newer cards rather than the older.

Reply to
·karl

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Wrong. The last article I read said 38% of card users carry no debt.

Reply to
·Dr Tormento Dr

Here is the small print from TransUnion(whose scores go to 950) About your TransUnion Personal Credit Score: Your TransUnion Personal Credit Score is displayed above. Your credit score is a snapshot of the contents of your credit report on the day the score was calculated. Using objective, impartial formulas to translate the contents of your credit report into a 3-digit score enables lenders to evaluate your application for credit in a faster, fairer and more consistent manner. Remember, we constantly update the information contained in your credit report, so your TransUnion Personal Credit Score only represents the score a lender would receive if they requested it today.

Summary Given that you have a high credit score, lenders should be able to conclude that you are capable of repaying your debts. This would then enable lenders to provide you with better interest rates and loan offers. Credit cards may be harder to obtain because lenders still see room for improvement. To improve your credit score, continue to pay your debts on time. Lender offers will differ based on the attribute information you provide concerning your monthly income, employment history, and monthly debt. This information will aid in the determination of whether you receive an excellent offer, or just a respectful offer.

  1. Not enough revolving debt experience: More revolving accounts, containing longer credit histories, provides more payment behavior information.
  2. Too few premium bankcard accounts: Not enough premium bankcard accounts has a negative impact on your credit score. Answers About Credit Scores · How are credit scores used? A credit score is just one of several factors a company will usually use to decide whether to extend credit, give insurance coverage or provide financial services to you. A variety of other factors will always be considered, such as length of employment, income or previous experience with you. Depending on what you are applying for, different companies give different weights to each of these factors. By using a credit score, they can evaluate your application faster, fairer and more consistently. · How can I improve my credit score? A credit score is a snapshot of the contents of your credit report at the time it was calculated. The first step in improving your score is to review your credit report to ensure it is accurate. Long-term, responsible credit behavior is the most effective way to improve future scores. Pay bills on time, lower balances and use credit wisely to improve your score over time. · How do inquiries affect my credit score? Only regular inquiries affect your credit score; and typically they have only a small impact. Delinquencies, balances owed, and the length of time you have used credit are all more important. Also, if inquiries actually did affect your score, we will specifically inform you of this. Inquiries have a greater impact if you have a limited credit history. Additional Information The TransUnion Personal Credit Score is provided to help you better understand how lenders view your credit report. It is not an endorsement or a determination of your qualification for a loan. The scoring model used for this Score Analysis is not necessarily the same scoring model that may be used by a lender, and the resulting credit score may not be identical in every respect to any consumer credit score produced by any other company. Any credit information that has not yet been reported to TransUnion will not be reflected in your Personal Credit Report or score. Also, some items disputed directly with creditors are not incorporated in the assessment of your credit score.
Reply to
·Blash

wrote:

Actually, I looked this up just now, and most lenders seem to use

720 or so as the "perfect" level (even though Fair Isaac's FICO scores do go to 850).

That may be the case with some scorers, but Fair Isaac's FICO uses a "percent of limit" number. See, e.g.,

.
Reply to
·Chris Torek Chris