Can I replace my BCM with a junkyard BCM?

Dealer wants $350.00 to $500.00 to exchange my BCM with a different one. They tell me it also will need to be programmed after the install or it will go into a fault mode and the van wont start. Is this true or can I buy a junkyard BCM for my vehicle as long as it has the security feature and plug it in? I'm trying to fix my random door lock/unlock problem. Thanks.

Reply to
davets

On the older models you may get away with that, since you dont say what kind of vehicle it is I couldnt answer that. The newer models have so many options and all the modules communicate with each other over the bus, I would stick with the dealer ordered part only

Reply to
maxpower

Tell me what vehicle and model year this is. I can likely tell you exactly what you need to know.

Bill

Reply to
Bill
2000 Town and Country Limited with security. VIN 1C4GP64L7YB713849. Doors lock and unlock by themselves whether the van is running or not, moving or not. I tried pulling the 40 amp "door lock/seat" fuse under the hood to keep it from happening until I can figure it out but the ABS and airbag lights came on as well as the turn signals and blower fan wouldn't work. Put the fuse back in and its ok except for the lock problem. Newer battery and cleaned the terminals. IOD fuse was cocked in its socket so I pushed that in tight but no luck. Can I pull that fuse to reset something? I disconnected the battery and turned the ignition and headlights on for 5 minutes then reconnected the battery but still no luck. Thanks for the help guys... Its looking expensive. Help!
Reply to
davets

Man, it sounds a lot like an intermittent ignition switch. My 96 grand caravan once in awhile will give the ABS lamp, no power to windows, gauges, etc. It happens every once in awhile at ramdom. At first, my wife was the one to see it happen. Then I was with her once when it happened. She then carefully watched the problem the next time it occured, and rocking the ignition switch back and forth brought everything back. Comically, we still havent fixed the problem, as it is not frequent enough to be forced into repairing it. You should be all right with a used BCM, as your van has theft system in it already.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Take it back to Champion Chry and have them monitor the Disarm swithces for the alarm. That is normally what causes this phantom lock problem. When you schedule the appointment dont forget to have them do the recall on your heated seats

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

It's a 2000 T&C Limited, 3.8. I may have gotten it fixed. I cleaned the contacts on the 3 door lock relays and unplugged then reconnected the electric switch for the rear hatch lock cylinder. See my new post titled "random door lock/unlock problem fixed... i hope". Thanks guys.

Reply to
davets

Reply to
Denis