New car suggestions - don't laugh

Maybe - but they wouldn't want to share it with my 2yo who likes hitting people on the head with his toys. He's currently residing in the boot seats of the Zafira. And if he's good I'll let him out.

Possibly. But they're all at banger money now aren't they? And alternative may be a C5.

Especially as they're now in-budget. Hmmm.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. That's after going on Tuesday to test-drive the Daimler.

David

Reply to
David Lane

XJR as in supercharged or XJR as in nasty special edition? Or XJR as in actually meant XJ8? :D

Reply to
Doki

XJR as in 370bhp supercharged XJR in a LWB version. £80k+ initial purchase price.

Alternatively called - insurance group 20 kind of speed.

David

Reply to
David Lane

I never knew that. I always had them booked as a plodalong type mobile... Nice.

Reply to
Doki

Better upholstered - yes. Everything else is more or less the same though. They shared the same assembly line and were built by the same people using the same processes as the XJ. Not that that's a bad thing mind - the Browns Lane plant won JD Power awards on several occasions for producing the highest quality vehicles in the world.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... the Browns Lane plant won JD Power awards on several occasions

So, in the name of better business, they close it.

Reply to
Elder

True, but it was the workers that made the cars as well as they did, rather than the plant itself. The majority of them are still employed at the Castle Bromwich plant.

To be honest, I'm surprised it didn't happen a lot sooner than it did. Which other car manufacturer in this day can justify building and painting the shells in one location and shipping them 20 miles down the road to be finished off? Likewise how could 3 factories be justified for 80,000 vehicles per annum?

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Depends. If they needed the space to make the cars, and building one new single factory would have been too expensive, and if they had gotten smaller, not sold the same number of vehicles because the quality dropped, yes.

Reply to
Elder