Ooops, I appear to have bought a sensible car for a change

Well, for "Timo values" of sensible, obviously. 1995 Audi A8, full service history - well, at least the book is stamped, and the invoices that come with it suggest that at least the last owner did take care of it.

Still, it needs a new thermostat and something else looked at so I won't actually get my mitts on it until early next week...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

6.0 V10 :D ?
Reply to
DanB

No, a "cooking" 4.2 quattro...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Sweet.

Reply to
Elder

Thanks. We'll see :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Now that's nice.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hehe well that's not exactly shy is it ;-) Well played sir!

What are the specs on these things?

Reply to
DanB

It's an A8, seats like ironing boards. Especially the back seat.

At least the good thing about driving one is that you don't sit in the back. The other thing about the A8 is it could be worse, it could be an S8. That really is s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Something like 300bhp out of 4.2l, four-wheel drive (obviously) and in this case a tiptronic slushbox. As that's the all-alloy one they're not that heavy for the size (about 1600/1700kgs) so they shift reasonably well. Decent number of 'leccy toys, even though this one doesn't seem to have some of the known weak points like the electric headrest adjustments.

Didn't find any cupholders but then I didn't look for them either.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

No, it's the regular one. That's big enough, I'd have trouble parking an A8L anywhere here.

Well, they're not cheap to service but at one service a year (10k service intervals or once a year, and I won't do *that* many miles in it) I don't see that as that big a problem. Drinks like petrol was free, though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Good lad!

Reply to
Abo

Was it from a bloke in Chertsey?

Reply to
Elder

Kidlington near Oxford.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ooh, ex-plod?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh, ok. The guy that was going to buy my old Celsior was from Chertsey and he was let down by the buyer of his A8 4.2 a couple of weeks back.

Reply to
Elder

Nope, not with the amount of personal plates it came up with on the HPI check.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ah righto, it's just that Kidlington used to be the home of Thames Valley plod and the CC was chaufeured around in an A8 (with personal plates).

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, obviously, instead of a reasonably rapid and well made Kraut Uber-saloon, he obviously wanted a cheap and rattly Merkin SUV, 'cos that would be so much better.

I kept looking towards the A8s when I last thought about buying a car, but decided that they're just too fecking big.

Reply to
SteveH

Is the Explorer the only vehicle I own or have ever owned? Your experience OTOH is confined to weedy repmobiles with half an engine and Italian rustbuckets that even the Italians think are a bad joke.

And everything else that's wrong with Kraut cars.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm actually on about the Mk1 S8 since that's the one I've both driven and been a passenger in and the Mk1 A8 which I've only been a passenger in. It was back when I had the XJR and I swapped cars with another consultant at work for a day to see if we could persuade each other to change.

He hated the XJR because he found the driver's seat too narrow. He's a big lardarse and his bum draped on the centre console and the door. I loved the driving position on the Jag, it's perfect for my height and skinny arse. I'd driven it up to 1000 miles in a day so I couldn't see WTF he was whining about. He didn't like the suspension on the Jag which he thought was "soft and floaty" and I thought the S8 was stupid with no suspension to talk about.

Rest of complaints as previously.

I don't think either of us convinced the other about car choice and I was left with the feeling that the S8 was just another German FatArse car. It felt slow, probably because it was 30bhp down on the Jag and

300Kg heavier. It felt to me like it understeered horribly, probably because it's a 4x4 and not proper RWD. As long as one's mooching around it's OK, but it not "a devastatingly fast cross-country rocket" IMO.
Reply to
Steve Firth