MIL Light - dealer can't find anything wrong with car!

Hi - this is a great group. It's my first time here.

I have a 1995 GLE, ~124,000 miles. Original owner, no trouble with the car until recently. In the last 8 weeks, injectors 2 & 5 failed and I had them replaced with no probles. The failures were signalled by rough running and the MIL light. I pulled the codes from the unit under the center dashboard and the codes told what the problem was diagnosed to be.

Early last week, the MIL came on again, but the car ran great. I pulled the codes again and got 3-4 (knock sensor) and 3-2 (EGR system hi/low flow). I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they got the EGR code but not the knock code. They looked at the EGR system and exhaust system at least, and found nothing wrong.

After a day & 1/2 of checking the car, they still couldn't find anything. They reset the light & said that they thought it was just a fluke and probably wouldn't recur. After I drove 328 miles in numerous key cycles, the light came back on. It's sending only the EGR code now. The car is running just great, and if not for the light, it wouldn't appear that anything is wrong. I'm taking it back to the dealer on Monday again for a 2nd look.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I looked up the EGR code in a index I found at Maxima.org, and it appears to cover a lot of ground. But the dealer's techs just aren't finding anything wrong with the car. The two times this error code/light have occurred it has been on the 2nd or 3rd trip after a fillup. Gas cap is tight and dealer said it was holding pressure well. I haven't changed the gas I'm using either (Shell Premium). I'm just trying to get some different ideas here.

Help!

Thanks! Rochelle

Reply to
Rochelle

Same year, but a GXE.

Just came up with the same codes. Same Symptoms. My dealer did the same thing first time, looked around and then reset the light and said to watch it. It came on a second time. Same codes as first time, Knock, EGR and Transmission Control Unit communication.

Made an appointment and the technician went past the EGR, and to the control solenoid for the EGR. Replaced that and all is well. The solenoid can become an intermittent problem, the EGR is the failure code, but checks out good. Takes an experienced or smart technician to look beyond the code and use imagination I guess.

I don't understand why the US dealers have such a time working on these cars. The horror stories I read here. I have been to two different dealers here in Ottawa now and although it costs more to get the work done there, they know what they are doing.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Have someone take a look at the hose attached to the bottom of the BPT valve. If the hose is cracked the EGR system will not work and the light will be set.

Reply to
Harry Balls

The EGR is probably has low flow on the small vacuum control line from the BPT valve. The knock sensor code is probably a phantom and not real. By itself it won't set off the MIL, but other problems can induce the KS code to appear.

Reply to
Monte