OT: Decent Linux Newsreader

Anyone recommend one? I know I could have asked on a linux group, but I usually get better answers here ;-)

Cheers

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I use slrn on my Eee

Isn't there a Thunderbird/Mozilla/SeaMonkey sort of thing for Linux?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

You do get Thunderbird for Linux, yes.

There are plenty of newsreaders out there for Linux, it's just a matter of trying them. The KDE one (knews?) is quite good, then there's Pan, slrn as you mentioned and tons of others.

Personally I use Gnus inside Emacs but that's not for everybody.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

See, I didn't want to go mentioning the text based ones. All those who use them claim they are the best. I did use pan in an early incarnation and back then it was a little unstable, but pretty good.

Reply to
Elder

Erm, Usenet tends to be a text-based medium?

Anyway, T-Bird, the KDE one and Pan are all graphical, as is knode. Gnus is semi-graphical depending on your config.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

PAN is OK but takes some getting used to however I think that had more to do with me thinking it was a Gravity clone. OTOH, Gravity works fine under WINE although you don't get AA fonts.

Reply to
Conor

I realise that, but I was thinking that most people asking "what *** for linux" are going to be coming from the windows/mac gui background and wanting similar, rather than being comfortable with console apps. Been a while since I've used Thunderbird and Lookout Excess for news, tending to have used Pan on Linux and Gravity on windows.

I have been happy in the past with using Elm and Pine for mail,and Vim as a text editor so can't imagine it being so different for usenet.

Reply to
Elder

Yes, how do you reply with PAN??

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

There's an icon of a pencil and open envelope with the tooltip 'Followup to Newsgroup'

Or press 'f'.

Reply to
PCPaul

So you do :-)

PAN will do for me, thanks to all those who replied!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Whats wrong with x-news :)

Reply to
Sarah

...recompile your Colonel?

Reply to
Mark W

Well, I can't be arsed to go downstairs and check, but I'd have thought that VLC would do this happily.

conkersack