Question about Water Injection

Water injection used alone decreases power because it displaces the air that could be burned. Used to combat detonation it can give more power as it allows more turbo boost, or more compression, or more nitrous etc to be used. Marginally.

It will never give you 50 percent less fuel consumption, and its doubtful it could give you any.

Reply to
Burgerman

I read in local newspaper about a man who modificated his Marcedes 124 diesel by putting a water injection. He decresed the fuel consumptiion by 50 %. I was looking for any info on internet but only thing i found was building water injection in sport cars for increasing power. Can anybody help me?

wasilwroc(at)tlen.pl

Reply to
k.w.

Correct: adding water (to diesel) will increase fuel consumption and if you don't have a product that keeps the water emulsified, the water (heavier than diesel) will accumulate in the lower part of the tank.

100% water and the engine will refuse to start :)

Elf Total experiments with aquazole: 80% diesel + 20 % water which results in a milk-like fluid. Power is down, consumption is up, the only positif side is that NOx-emissions are a bit lower due to the lower combustion chamber temperature.

It keeps surprising me how quickly the high petrolprices tend to eat people's brains ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

During and shortly after ww2 people started using WI incars to combat knock from poor petrol, and get improved performance and MPG by being able to run more advance than they normally could.

The performance was a side effect, initially it was used to improve MPG on poor quality rationed petrol. Don't know about Diesels though.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

No he didn't.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Diesels do benefit from water injection, but only a small amount, and if the quantity of water is ever too high you will start breaking things in dramatic fashion. it also has to be _deionized_ or _distilled_ water, kept from freezing, and so forth. It's usually considered not worth the bother.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Mixed with Methanol or Ethanol and in not too great a-quantity, a good improvement can be had on a turbo diseasal.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..