stereo in a house?

i have my stereo from my car that i had to scrap so i was wondering could i put it to use in my house as a standalone unit running my 6x9's?

any ideas on this at all?

cheers

Reply to
LuCkyBoY

You'd need a 12V power supply. A CB radio power supply would do.

You'd need cabinets of some kind for your speakers. I don't know how nice a car stereo would sound outside the confines of a car interior!

At a pinch you could test the stereo out on some domestic speakers.

Reply to
Mark W

A suitable power supply would be a CB one, and might cost about 30 quid. Then you've got the problem that it would have to be on 24/7 to keep the memory going. And you've got to think about what to do for an aerial - portable radios have them built in, but car radios don't, and using a normal whip one won't work quite as well as in a car where it uses the body as a reflector.

Also, don't expect it to sound as good as even a very modest domestic unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hello LuCkyBoY.

24 Nov 03 22:08, you wrote to all:

L> i have my stereo from my car that i had to scrap so i was wondering could i L> put it to use in my house as a standalone unit running my 6x9's?

L> any ideas on this at all?

Get an old PC power unit, locate 12v in it and there you go.

Sergey

... Stupidometer:  64%

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

Actually thats not a good idea. Pc powersupplys only put a moderate % of their total output power on the 12v rail most of it goes on the 5v rail. Its better to get a decent regulated powersupply. It will do a far better job than a PC one.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Hello Ed.

02 Dec 03 03:36, you wrote to me:

E> Actually thats not a good idea. Pc powersupplys only put a moderate % of E> their total output power on the 12v rail most of it goes on the 5v rail. E> Its better to get a decent regulated powersupply. It will do a far E> better job than a PC one.

Agreed, but it worked for me :)

Sergey

... A cynic smells flowers and looks for the casket.

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

Not the case with modern PFC units.

Something like a

will bemore than capable :)

Yep.

But he'll prolly find that a PC one will be "good enough".

Reply to
Nom

Not that it might matter in this case, but a car radio needs 14 volts to give its rated power output, not 12.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

14.4 in many cases :) makes me laugh all car amps are the same lol :) Its impossible to get a very tough 14v supply. Even 12v with high current amps.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

snip

Especially since it's likely to sound pish anyway!

Reply to
Jamesy