Thar be snow!

| i have 225 tyres on the rear,

With 225 wheels? That's what I call a modification ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

None of that marlarky here, put the pedal down too hard, and you slow down as the fronts spin up :) Still, narrow little 195's so they're not bad in the snow.

Reply to
DanTXD

in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, "Vamp" slurred :

There's an MR2 Turbo with full-on mad-bastard upgrades (I don't know the full spec, but it's had some serious dosh thrown at it. It definitely has anti-lag.) Anyway, he came into the car park just after me, and just could not get it to go in a straight line. In the end, the only way he could park the damn thing was to get me and two other blokes to push it into a parking bay. Useless machine :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "DanTXD" slurred :

Yup :-) They great in the wet, but might as well be slicks when on snow. I'm not complaining....

Reply to
Albert T Cone

That's sorta what mine does. But it doesn't kill the power - it just seems to drop it until grip comes back. Sorta like ABS, but in reverse !

Reply to
Nom

Are the two things not directly related ?

Whenever I have to drive in the snow, I'm permanently on-edge at people sliding into me !

Reply to
Nom

Exactly why you should stop ! You should be profiting from the monthly subscriptions, not from the setup costs. See the mobile-phone-industry's subsidised-handsets-model for more details :)

Yes - they just make it up over a period of months, from my monthly subscription. As long as I stay with Demon for X months, then they've made their £70 back...

Reply to
Nom

215 tyres and 210 ponys and 285 talks through my front wheels. Also hmm :)
Reply to
Nom

After driving the MX5 at the weekend, i think it may have an LSD. Not sure how to tell (any ideas anyone), but it felt like it did. Should give the girlfriend a scare if it snows :) Not that it will, because I'm too far down south :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Lots and lots of sideways very easily. Perfect conditions to learn how to handle a car as if you hit something its unlikely to do any damage. Last year i took to 340 out in the middle of the country. Absolutely deserted and plenety of space to muck about!

Totally, but you always get idiotic drivers, unfortunately the snow just multiplies the havoc they cause!

Boooooo! Wuss :)

effectively

ESP, TCS? These mean nothing to me! 3 pedals, 2 sticks and a big circle is all you need!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

195's all round here, too, they work well in wet, dry and snow. HST a v8 RWD with no traction control is a bit exciting, you don't talk about "whether it will skid", you just plan how to slide it and which way to turn the wheel to compensate, up front.

The downside - and it applies to both my cars - is the hills. When you are on a steep hill and on packed snow, you can do what you like but the car will build up speed even with the brakes on full. You can turn sideways, etc, so what? So I plan my drives to avoid steep hills, up to the point where I live on one, which means trying to inch it up on the kerb when there is ice around. Gritters do the main road, but not the steep bit outside my house. Still, it isn't snowing here yet so this is all academic.

Reply to
Questions

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

How many black lines does it leave when pulling away? Or jack up and roate one side, if other goes in same direction then it has LSD for sure. Or get it in the snow, boot it in 1st and get someone to watch from behind :-)

Will

Reply to
Will

I'd be quietly confident they all had LSD's except maybe those crappy 1.5 imports which yours isn't

Reply to
Chet

Tee he he. Just been reading on of the books the previous owner gave us. apparently the 1.8s had a torsen type LSD :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

lol cool! i don't think the MR2 was made for snow or off road type conditions though :)

my MK1 MR2 didn't worry me in the snow but the MKII does as it's a bit heavier, has more rubber on the ground and a turbo to kick in when not needed :)

Reply to
Vamp

But there is the random lanes, like the one from Burton Fleming to Thwing ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Heh - opposite numbers - 205 tyres and 225 ponys...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because it's fun.

Ok, clarification... driving in heavy traffic in snow is *not* fun. Driving without anything else near in snow *is* fun (if you choose to make it so of course) :)

Reply to
LordyUK

I'm planning on taking your old one off roading on events in the ner future. A new clutch, some front doplinks and a couple of tyres and i'll be ready :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

sounds nuts just don't post pics of it wrapped round a tree or i'll cry lol

Reply to
Vamp