towing legalities

anyone give me a quick run down on towing laws???

is it legal to tow a car with no mot/tax on a solid bar or would it have to be raised off the ground ala dolly.?????

Reply to
Rob

If its got legal tyres and the towing weight and unbraked weight are acceptable it should be legal. And your tow cars plate and a light board?

Reply to
Burgerman

Which would mean that the towed car would have to be 750kg or less depending on the weight of the towing vehicle.

This stuff comes up quite often and the consensus seems to be "just do it it'll be ok"

Reply to
adder1969

and no one inside it whilst it is being towed.

Reply to
bongo rule

->anyone give me a quick run down on towing laws???

->

->

->is it legal to tow a car with no mot/tax on a solid bar or would it have to

->be raised off the ground ala dolly.?????

->

I do this all the time, you can tow with a A-frame provided the frame is braked, this, in the eyes of the law, turns the towed vehicle into a braked trailer.

The "trailer" must not exceed the towing limits of your vehicle.

Reply to
Geoff

If it's a braked trailer doesn't it have to comply with the braked trailer regulations? A car wouldn't comply. It seems the only valid use of towing like this is "to move a vehicle into a safe position". That is, according to the national trailer and towing association.

Reply to
adder1969

->

->Geoff wrote:

->

->>

->> I do this all the time, you can tow with a A-frame provided the frame is braked,

->> this, in the eyes of the law, turns the towed vehicle into a braked trailer.

->>

->

->If it's a braked trailer doesn't it have to comply with the braked

->trailer regulations? A car wouldn't comply. It seems the only valid

->use of towing like this is "to move a vehicle into a safe position".

->That is, according to the national trailer and towing association.

Why would a car not comply ?

Reply to
Geoff

Hmmm, it seems the article was referrign to towing frames that link up to the cars brakes. I can't see why a car on a braked towing frame should not be classed as a trailer. It might need the gross weight stamping on it somewhere though :-)

Reply to
adder1969

Because it doesn't have auto reversing hubs - like modern trailers do. That alone is why a car on a braked A frame cannot satisfy the rules for a braked trailer.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I think you'll find that legally a vehicle without an MOT/ tax, has to be transported with all wheels off the ground. Ie, either a trailer or on the back of a transporter. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

->Because it doesn't have auto reversing hubs - like modern trailers do.

->That alone is why a car on a braked A frame cannot satisfy the rules for a

->braked trailer.

->

Are you sure reversing hubs are a legal requirement ?

Reply to
Geoff