Towing my CJ-7 across country

I am towing my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 on a U-Haul tow dolly (front wheels off the ground, rear wheels on the ground) I think I have a T-176 manual tranny. Do I need to disconnect the rear drive-shaft or can I just put the tranny in nuetral and tow it. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Anthony T

Hi Anthony, You could get by with idling it in gear, transfer in neutral every fifty miles to lube out put bearing, but removing the driveshaft sounds like a better idea, seeing you have a Real Jeep, that won't leak if you do. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

As others have mentioned, unhooking the driveshaft at the rear end is the best.

I have a T-5 and D300 T-case in my 86, but no matter, the owners manual says you can flat tow an 86 in gear with the T-case in neutral for 200 miles. You then need to stop and run the engine with the transmission still in gear and the t-case still in neutral to lube up the t-case bearings.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Anthony T

The t-case gets lubed from the input shaft from the transmission spinning.

When the t-case is in neutral, only the output shaft to the rear spins as you tow, the rest and the transmission stay still which is the idea. Spinning the driveshaft only will lead to a dry tailshaft bearing.

It is only 4 small bolts to remove the rear of the driveshaft, then you can tie it up to the frame with a bunjy or coat hanger. It will 'not' fall out, it has a u-joint and a fixed yoke at the t-case. I recommend duct taping the bearing caps in place on the u-joint though.

Some newer ones will fall out when the back u-joint is unhooked.

Mike

Anth> Thanks folks.

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike.

Reply to
Anthony T

Thanks Jeff, et. al. Looks like I will disconnect rear shaft.

Trip is from Seattle to San Antonio (approx 2300 miles) Towing my Jeep on a U-Haull dolly behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee. With gas at $3.00 + a gallon, it will make for a pricey trip. Oh well.

Reply to
Anthony T