Tyre Pressure Help

Hi,

This is my fist post. Looks like a good group, hope someone can help.

I bought a Rover Coupe Turbo last year. It has 17" rims with Falken

205/40ZR17 tyres on.

Trouble is I havn't been able to find any help of what pressures to run the tyres at. I've been running them at 30psi, but I think this is too low? I'm unsure though.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
Nildram

Ist, Tyre pressures are a compromise - depends what you want... There is no "correct" figure. Basically look at the tyres tread. If its wearing most at the edges, increase the pressure. If its wearing most in the middle, decreases the pressures. If its wearing on the outside edges only, increase toe out.. If its wearing insides only increase to in...

Then... At the expense of increased tyre wear, If you wand it more "solid" ride with less sidewall movement, good mpg, and a hard ride, add a few psi... The opposite for a smooth ride, heavier steering, better forward acceleration grip, sloppier looser ride, etc...

Reply to
Burgerman

What Bugerman said :)

As a side note, my standard tyre pressures were 30psi i think, with my 16's on i run em at 33ish.

Reply to
Dan405

I run my 18's at 32 psi, fwiw

225 40 18, I can see 30-40k miles on a set no probs
Reply to
Ronny

Thanks dan and ronny. Will put in a few more psi this evening and see how they feel for a while.

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
Nildram

->Can anyone offer some advice please?

->

A starter for 10.

Pump the tyres up to say 40 psi, draw a line across the tyre with chalk.

Drive in a straight line on a flat smooth road, stop and look at the line, chalk prolly missing in the middle but visable on the edges, lower tyre pressures and repeat until the whole chalk line disappears.

Reply to
Geoff

FWIW I run 205/50 P6000 on 16's @ 36 front and rear. (primera GT soon to be nozzed)

Reply to
Johnny

Run them slightly harder than the book figure.

If the stock figure for your car is 32psi, then run them at 34psi.

Don't be afraid of running them very hard - my 215/45/17s sit at 38psi front, and 36psi rear for example.

Reply to
Nom

My XR2 wheels were 23psi book!

Reply to