Upgradeing the mk2

I'm starting to plan what i'm going to do to the Golfs chassis and engine so I don't just run head long into it and cause more problems than its worth for myself before I do anything about cosmetics. And I was wondering what you guys thought about what I have so far, plus I need your advice/help on a cpl of things, or anything you care to comment on really :).

First I was wondering, besides aftermarket discs like black diamond...etc what is the recommended upgrade from mk2 GTi 8v callipers and disc's (front and rear)?

Something like these Audi Quattro items?

I would like something that pretty much bolts on although I don't mind a little modification since my dad has a pretty nice workshop, without me having to put my 2nd kidney on ebay to pay for the parts lol ;) Recommendations would be ace, also parts required for the conversion would be pretty useful too!

Second on my list is the suspension, i'm not sure where to go on this one. Maybe Bilstein? I want something better than the GTi set up, but still comfortable if that is possible?

The engine; I am going to crack it open sometime next week and have a look at the general condition of it and see if its worth re-conditioning. If it is worth it, I will get the engine running properly before I do any modifications and check out how much my insurance will be with the chassis mod's. Then if I can afford it, I will probably go for a 2.0 Audi 80 block to generate a little extra torque. Maybe a 2nd hand performance manifold to mate up to the scorpion system if I can source one, I think I will remove the exhaust and give it a clean up when I am renovating the underside of the golf. And if I do infact have the Kent cams, I will see if I can located a suitable vernier pulley to match it .

Then a rolling road tune to get power figures and everything set up right along with the camber/geometry of the suspension set up.

Also does anyone know of any decent/useful VW forums/websites?

Reply to
REMUS

I think Golf's look better left simple. I saw a black Mk3 today (which i'm not normally a fan of), lowered, on black wheels (suspect they were 17's) and it did look quite nice, very 'racer' sort of thing. But i'm not a 'euro' look fan, stupidly low with small wheels - thats just gay. I personally wouldn't go bigger than 16's and lower than -30mm on a Mk2, for looks and driving reasons.

Source the biggest ones that fit :) But don't paint them red, unless they come red as standard and say 'Brembo' on (and aren't fakes...).

It is, obviously if you go lower and stiffer, you're going to lose SOME ride comfort, but it can be minimal with a good matched set of springs/dampers etc. Koni's are *very* good, but also not cheap. Bilsteins again, very good, but not too cheap. As a cheaper option, my mate had a full Spax set up on a Nova (we were 18...) and it was actually very good...

I freely admit i don't know over much about engine tuning, so i'm gonna come in with "Make it faster".

Always a good laugh.

Depression will be along shortly with a list :)

Reply to
DanTXD

It's currently sitting on 16's but i'm looking for a deep dish design I really like to replace the current rims with either 15's or 16's

Yeah it's just getting info on what I can replace the 8v items with, thats the trouble. I have located a 280mm conversion guide that incorperates VR6 callipers but I was wondering if there were any other options. Because the conversion is a bit of a hassle.

I'll look into the spax and koni options, cheers.

Reply to
REMUS

I'm sure the Spax kit wasn't the best it could be, it was only about £250 for the whole lot. But it didn't make the ride much worse at all, it only lowered it a little bit, i'd guess about 30mm, its hard to tell cos the stock suspension was shagged, but it did handle a LOT better. Thing is, once the 45 profile tyres were on, the ride started to suffer :) Did grip well tho...

Reply to
DanTXD

16V GTi brakes, G60 brakes.

As I said before - drop it too much and the spoiler will scrape in car parks. Sort geometry + bushings before you start pissing about. It should be a fairly simple matter to get hold of 16v suspension - it's a drop from the

8v setup IIRC and most likely has firmer ARBs etc.

The 1.8 has an imperial fuckload of torque. You can chug around in 5th at

20mph if you so wish with a standard motor that's running right. Still, might as well fettle it if you're taking it to bits.
Reply to
doki

Are 16v brakes much of an improvement and a straight swap? I am awaiting a reply from some VW breakers about G60 and VR6 brake set ups but they are not straight swaps and 3(ish) hours of work assumeing there are no ceased parts. Not includeing preperation and renovation of G60/VR6 bits.

Reply to
REMUS

They're bigger. No MK2 brakes are going to be great. Something to do with the mechanics of the RHD conversion. I take it you've tried a full bleed on your current brakes?

Reply to
doki

No not yet, but I want to upgrade the brakes anyway.

Reply to
REMUS

Have a look on mateymatey.com. If your car doesn't have brake ducts, nick a set from a 16V. Fit onto the front skirt and blow air at the brakes.

Reply to
doki

They look pretty good. I'm sure an adaptor plate could be made if needed. Will the master cylinder be able to handle that sort of caliper?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'll take a look now, as long as I dont have to startcutting holes in the bumper...etc

Did you check out rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled? I got a hell of a good reply from an American I think.

Reply to
REMUS

The early Mk2 GTI hub carriers and caliper carrier were all cast as one piece, if you have these you can't just change to the larger discs and calipers. If you're changing them then you may as well just go for the G60 brakes rather than the 16V ones, it will be the same amount of work but the G60 brakes will make a huge difference to what you have now. G60 brakes are a straight swap if you get the complete hub carriers/hubs/calipers and the larger late type bottom ball joint. Your age of Golf will also need the later master cylinder. VR6 won't be a straight swap as the hubs are 5 stud.

Reply to
Homer

There's nothing wrong with Mk2 brakes, they had the master cylinder in the right place for a RHD car. The problems were with the Mk1 where the laster cylinder was on the wrong side and there was a linkage across the back of the engine bay linking the master cylinder to the brake pedal. The only think the RHD Mk2 Golf never got was ABS but I never found a need for it with G60 front brakes.

Reply to
Homer