Which is better, only one way to decide........ Fight

i've driven a few x type's and the 2 litre diesel doesn't seem right plus i usually see them in poor man spec with 15's and to me that aint a jag. a jag should run on at least 18's with 17's if you can't go up to 18 but 18 should be the min! i mean the XK's have 20's :) i wanted a 3 litre x type to replace my BM a few years back but that's before the goverment went all h*mo with the tax system, i liked the idea of a baby XJ on 18's in black or dark green.

considering your list i'd say get the x type but remove the badge if it's a diesel or go for a 2.5 petrol at the most :)

Reply to
Vamp

My "perfect garage" wishlist.

Sapphire Cosworth must be Magenta (2wd) or Smokestone (4wd) with leather and aircon. 280 bhp if 4wd, 450 if 2wd. Mk1 Capri 3.0 GT XLR in yellow with black bonnet, on Rostyles. Ferrari 456M in titanium grigio with tan leather Integrale Evo in giallo fly with black leather and working AC Interceptor FF in Brienze blue with black leather Mercedes W124 500E in as near as possible to anthracite with black leather Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 in black with red leather Escort Mk2 RS2000 Custom in Signal Orange with black 'roll tops'. Range Rover Supercharged in a subtle dark metallic red, on 20"s Jag XJR V8 in black My Turbo Rangie restored, but in black with black leather. Mk1 Capri Perana in orange Bentley Arnage T in black with orange leather and engine turned dash (just because) Brabus EV12 Estate in black Thema 8.32 in metallic blue with tan leather Impreza 22B in blue E30 M3 Evo in black with black leather and AC Aston Martin V8 Vantage X pack in Royal Cherry with magnolia leather

911 Turbo S in a dark, weapon-like, gunmetal grey.

There are more, but fuckit. Any excuse for a dream garage moment.

Reply to
Pete M

I realise this seems to be quite common, but only on internet forums where people go to talk about these things. You're never going to find a single car in the world that some people say has a 'common fault' - because theirs did, so it immediately becomes shouted about on a Skoda board and then it disappears to the end of the internet and back, ensuring everyone knows there is a common fault on this car :-)

Ok, I'm taking the piss a bit there, but you get what I mean. Someone always has a bad word to say about, well, everything really heh, including cars. There is never going to be a car that everyone says has no bad points or common faults. Especially on the internet. People don't review and shout about good cars, they only get on the high horse when there is a fault! Shock! We must demand an apology from the makers! Even though really, it's a warranty job and they sort it out for you quickly and free-ly whilst giving you a cup of coffee and a news paper in the waiting room :-)

Reply to
DanB

Nah - nowt French about the Ford 'Puma' diesel engine in the X-Type. It was one of the engines designed entirely by Ford prior to the DW12 joint venture engine.

On the other stuff though - you've got a point...

Reply to
andytucker

156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

They're both Ford engines from the same 'Puma' engine family, shared with the Mk3 Mondeo, Transit and Defender.

On the Ford side, stuff later than and including the Mk2 Focus uses the joint venture PSA 2.0/2.2 engines, which are based on the PSA DW12 unit. The Freelander also uses this engine.

Reply to
andytucker

See, the tax on the x-type diesel is =A3150 a year for the older one, and =A3125ish a year for the Euro4 compliant one. And I've seen plenty for sale with original bigger wheels than 15"

Reply to
carl.robson

If it was just one, or maybe 2 than I would agree, but when you get Seat, and VW, and Skoda owners all saying that theirs is making the odd noise, and they hope it breaks soon because the warranty is up in less than 10k miles you begin to worry.

Reply to
carl.robson

Or Lucas, if they still existed :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Didn't Bosch buy the remains of the Lucas business, when it went under?

Reply to
SteveH

I don't think so, but it's hard to tell- ther's been a lot of buying and selling. Wikipedia suggests TRW automotive, and there's factory in Perry Barr that used to be Lucas that is TRW now.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I don't want to nit-pick, but I thought you used to have a 2.0 Octavia, and got shut of it because it was dull? In fact, google recons: "That Octavia was the best car I ever had... But it was so damned boring.." plus some stuff about how it wasn't very comfy, and quite wallowy. I dunno, but is there possibly a slight case of rose-tinted specs? I know that your previous one was a base spec model, but I can't imagine that there is a huge difference in dynamics between that and any of the TDi models, or that your tastes become more sedate in the last couple of years.

You could modify the suspension, I'm sure, and get a better compromise to your taste in handling and comfort, but given your tendency to get bored with cars very quickly, I'd stick to stuff which can easily be sold on, which probably means also avoiding screwing around with the suspension. I would think it also means avoiding any sort of finance.

*Unsolicited advice warning* I would seriously suggest that you stick to el-cheapo cars, from brands which have a deserved reputation for reliability. Get something comfy, reliable and fun to chuck about, and don't spend more on it than you can afford to lose next time you get itchy for a change.

An Almera Gti is fun to drive, gives mid-30s to the gallon, reasonably comfy, has a cam-chain and doesn't break down. You could get one, thrash it for 6 months, flog it on without losing hundreds and not have to worry about finance or being tied down in any way. I'm sure there are any number of equivalent cars which are at least as good to drive as an Octavia or Superb, and which will cost you less in the long run. The way car values are dropping at the minute, avoiding spending spag-loads has got to be a good plan, hasn't it?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It does seem more common on the 2.0 than the 1.9 though, DSG or not. Ask Dr Zoidberg. There's some speculation that long-life servicing doesn't help.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

See, the tax on the x-type diesel is £150 a year for the older one, and £125ish a year for the Euro4 compliant one. And I've seen plenty for sale with original bigger wheels than 15"

that's not bad, but could you be happy with something that dull? i wanted something cheaper on fuel and insurance than the BM, the finance didn't bother me after what i piad each month on the BM but i pay loads less with the mini too cos i wasn't dumb enough to borrow as much. the only thing it had to do was be comfortable and handle well and it does both oh and have air con as well. after the BM with little bits breaking i thought sod the modding never did a lot of that might as well go back to something small and fun like in the days when i drove my dad old AX and had my MK1 MR2.

the Jag sounds an ok choice but drive one see what you think. i think it would be more fun than the skoda.

Reply to
Vamp

Thats the thing I am going to find Cheap Newish Exciting.

I'm only going to get two from 3 which ever way I look at it.

Reply to
carl.robson

Your budget's around £4k or so, isn't it? Ever thought of a Mk3 MR2 (MR2 Roadster)? Not all that straight line quick (140bhp), but still a hoot, new enough to not have many/any issues (and stuff like seized bolts that haven't been touched once in 15-20 years etc etc.), and get an 03 onwards one and you'll get the revised chain driven engine. Yours from around £4.5k according to auto trader. Not as popular with purists as the Mk1, but a lot closer to that than the Mk2 was, and still a decent car by all accounts.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Its reality check time. A TDi is going to drive much differently to an NA 8v 2.0 petrol, BHP not much more as standard, but torque hugely higher. The thing about the old petrol one was, you could spin the tyres pulling away, but higher up the revs it had so little go.

There are more tuning/modding options later for the TDi, both in handling and performance than there ever was for the 2.0 8v (at least in the off the shelf plug and flash variety).

I've noticed over the last year, I tend to do between 10 and 50mph on the motorway most morning. And 30-75 coming home. On that run to Whitby I did at the end of October, I was surprised how little I did in the 65-

70 band. I was quite happy to go with the flow and play with the trucks. I still like my hoof down acceleration, just don't crave it as much now.

When I had my older Saabs then the Octavia, I used to do the M62 runs at about 85-90. I was happy to sit at 60-65 this time round even though there was ample opportunity to go

Reply to
Elder

It is going to be a family "pay it back when you've got it" loan so at least there are no finance worries.

I'm just getting a bit wary of older cars now, especially as older ones are holding because everyone wants them, and newer ones are plummeting.

I don't want something for six months, I actually want something I can live with. All the cars I've had have been acceptable apart from some niggly fault that wasn't worth fixing because of the disproportianate cost, but too annoying to live with. I'm surprised how long I've put up with this Saab and spent over a grand fixing a £900 car. But it is still quite nice to drive.

Reply to
Elder

This one

Seems a reasonable price/history/spec

What is a good mileage for a jag/ford derv lump?

Reply to
Elder

I had thought about it, but then I might as well find a decent MX5 and be done with it.

I'm starting to leave my nuttiness behind and be sensible, and I know if I bought an MR2 roadster or MR-S mk3 I would regret not getting a MK2 turbo import.

Reply to
Elder

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine, I'd be more concerned with everything else turning to s**te around it.

Remember, these cars are built in the ex-Escort plant....

There are many, many cars out there with much lower mileages on them.

That kind of money is enough to buy a very late plate, sub 50k mile Alfa

156 JTD.

In fact, there was an 04-ish plater with 46k miles on it going for £2550 on Autotrader.

Reply to
SteveH