Why can't I find a new car ?

Same old, same old.

Finally got round to actually buying something new, but I'll be buggered if I can find anything worth buying, that's not at the other end of the country.

There were loads around when I was looking a couple of months back !

Astra Coupe Turbo is still hovering round the top of the list. I fancy an '04 car, so it's still got most of the manufacturers warranty left. Very cheap insurance too - DirectLine want £50 *less* than they currently charge me for the TI. Makes a nice 240bhp once AmD have fettled it.

Budget is £12K. The more modern the better. Reliability is of great importance - I don't wanna be visiting my garage more than is necessary :)

Alfa Romeo GTV V6 is very tempting - but I don't think I dare. Keenly priced. Want a Turbo really though.

Audi S3 is just about in budget - but it's gonna be an oldy high miler. Hmmm.

Octavia vRS is another option - but I think they're fugly.

I really want a Leon Cupra R, but they're overpriced - they seem to hold their value crazily well.

Celica 190 looks a great buy, and would be my first choice if it didn't have the engine-from-hell :)

Accord Type-R an even better buy (HID as standard etc. etc.) - but engine-from-hell again.

I could comfortably afford a brand new 206 GTi180 or a Clio 182 (mmmm, standard HID again) - I've disregarded them already though (teeny tinbox cars). Should I look closer at these two ?

New Vectra is keenly priced - there are plenty of 3.2 V6s in budget. Common and bland though, and not particularly quick. Spotted that they do a 3.0 V6 Diesel though ! 180bhp ! What's it like ? Do GM stick that engine into anything else ? I quite fancy 220bhp (once chipped) of Derv power !

If the Passat W8 was £3-£4K cheaper, then I'd have bought one already. But they're not :( It's likely to be my next car after this one though.

Anything I've missed ?

I've found a mint 200SX locally. It's a year 2000 on an X-plate with 40K, and it's a Touring, so it's got all the toys and full cream leather. It's a nice shade of blue, and a manual (which seem very rare for some reason). It's *well* under budget too, which is always nice. Are they actually any good ? I'm not sure about RWD - will I crash and die ? My biggest concern is that they're old (launched in '94) and bland bland bland. Hmmm. I think I'll go and look at it at the weekend. They're not particularly quick as standard - can I cheaply get a nice power hike ?

That's about it for now :)

Reply to
Nom

Audi S4, twin turbo easilly get a mint T plater with 80k for

Reply to
Ronny

Only if you can't drive or drift everywhere. It's horribly tempting when you're in a RWD car with a decent amount of power and can flick it sideways

*anywhere*. Makes going to the shops so much more fun.
Reply to
Doki

See if you can find what an Mazda 6 MPS will cost in 2005, and see if you can save a little longer.

?file=car.php&carnum=2113http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/motorshows/paris2004/production/mazda-6-mps.html
?id=3141 Should be a bit of a goer and best thing is, it ain't a Scooby.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I thought they made processors? :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ti only make processors for Calculators these days, but plenty of other=20 IC's for other purposes.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Running costs put me off.

Insurance will be plenty. Parts and repairs will cost plenty.

Yeah - although that's neither new nor low-miles really. The TI is a '97 - I'm only really changing to get something more "uptodate".

I wouldn't take less than the Cupra R though, and I can't seem to find any for sensible money.

Underpowered. 200bhp is the minimum I'll consider.

Reply to
Nom

£25,000 !

Agreed - I *really* like the look of it. It's gonna be a few years before it comes into budget though :/

Reply to
Nom

Get the Nissan and invest the rest of your budget into a spare set of slicks and go and do some track days. You'll never regret it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Different AMD :)

Nom

No. Its a Vauxhall, and an Astra, do you really want to be driving the same car as Dave :)

Do it, it probly won't break down....

Mileage is not good, and PeteM told me interesting things about how reliable Audi's actually are t'other night.

I think so to.

But they are sweet....

They're supposed to be indestructable tho.

Again, indestructable.

Don't buy a new one, also, they're small and rattly, GTi 180 is a great drive tho :) Although i suspect you'd dislike the 7,500rpm redline chase.

A diesel vectra. Yea.....

They appear to be awesome tho :)

Get the Supra Turbo :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Audi's are not really spose to be ultra reliable, they are just well made, quiet and look great.

If you want reliability go for a Toyota.

I must say in Audi's defense, my last one had 1 problem in 60k trouble free miles, which in my book from a 90k mile car is pretty good, my new Audi still has 90k on the clock, so dont think its a low mile's minter, its why i only paid

Reply to
Ronny

I wouldn't buy anything with that kinda mileage, unless it was like, sub a grand, but thats just me :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Ah, OK. Didn't think it was going to be quite that pricey. Maybe you could bully the salesman a little to a very good trade in=20 deal.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I know it isn't RWD/4WD, but have you thought about the MINI Cooper S?

According to Parkers an 02 model should be in your price range?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I wouldn't consider spending £10k on anything with more than 100k on the clock !

There's nothing worse than "loose" cars - all the slack in every joint, adds up to make a nasty wobly mess :)

Reply to
Nom

"DanTXD" wrote

I like the fact that you appear to be deliberately nauseating :P

Reply to
fishman

Thank you :)

Reply to
DanTXD

How about a Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 4wd Sport?

:)

Reply to
DanTXD