WRX vs WRX STi

The headline differences between the WRX and the WRX STi aren't as big as you might expect: 222bhp plays 262bhp, 60mph is dispatched in either 5.6sec or 5.2sec, and a 144mph maximum trails 152mph. Buy a WRX, then, and you're getting an STi in all but a few tenths of a second and a measly eight miles per hour, and with a tidy six grand saving - right?

Reply to
Me

Nope. Sti has stuff like an active centre diff, different turbo, much better gearbox and front and rear diff and a whole heap of other things. It's definitely the better car. Of course the Sti makes up for it by being a lot more expensive.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

STi officially makes 262, because the legal max for a Jap car is 280. Now imagine if the STi made the legal max, how would they manage to sell any limited edition specials when there was nowhere for them to go power wise.

A strong industry rumour indicates that the STi models put out arround

300BHP.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hell you learn something new every day! legal max for a Jap car is 280

What is the power output of the Skyline GTR? Do they de-tune them for the home market?

Reply to
Me

5.6 seconds is a very over-estimated figure. This is a damn heavy car (1450 kilos for a basic one) and 220bhp is not really enough to power it into sub six second dashes.

A low 6 to 6.5 would be a better mark.

Put it this way, in the 620ti (20bhp short, but about 100 kilo less weight to carry) I could as near as damnit match a low end Scooby (220bhp). A high end one (260bhp+) just blew it away.

Irrelevant, who cares about top speed for road use.

No.

Reply to
LordyUK

From the manufacturer yes. You might notice that all the Skylines, Scoobs, Evos etc all list the power output as either 250 or 280 for the top end ones.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

depends on fuel! jap fuel is 102 ron but UK the highest you can buy is 98 ron. my MR2 turbo is 220bhp on jap fuel but will make about the same as a UK celica at 205bhp on 98 ron. a tweak of the boost will see it at 260bhp easily mind which i'd love to do eventually

Reply to
Vamp

As Fraser said there's lots of differences under the skin. It all depends what you want it for. I met a Scooby head mechanic last summer and had a play in his WRX (standard 220bhp) and had a bit of a chat with him. Bascially if the end result was that if you just want an everyday car for doing everyday things that's fairly quick then a base model WRX is the car for you. If you want a bit more poke but still want it as an everyday car then get a WRX and have the Subaru power pack put on which will give you

260bhp (i think), and in terms of speed will see you roughly up with the STi. If you want something hardcore, you dont mind a harsh ride, wanna go on track days etc then get the STi.

As an aside, on the straight when I drove the WRX it didnt feel massively quick, I think my MR2 feels faster (obviously it isnt). But on the country lanes (when i was in the passenger seat) I was very impressed with the way it went - the power/torque, the 4WD, the handling all equal one quick car round the twisties!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not to that extent.

Jap fuel is irrelevant to a UK spec car.

That would have to be one hell of a tweak.

Reply to
LordyUK

well you bring the PSi up from lame 11psi to 15psi if i remember right :) decat and a decent exhaust helps too.

Reply to
Vamp

I always thought the 280 limit was a self imposed gentleman's agreement between the Japanese manufacturers.

Reply to
JohnR

It is.

Reply to
LordyUK

...and that isn't very strickly adhered to :D

Reply to
JohnR

Six grand ?

will sell you a WRX STi for £21k (which seems to be two grand moew than they were last year ?).

Reply to
Nom

Ah, but they stick to the agreement by publishing the the output at production as "280BHP", and not making bragging rights out of having more.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Not really. Decat pipe =A3120 Cone filter and cold feed =A330-60 Stainless big bore Exhaust =A3300 Manual boost controller =A320

Turn up the boost on an ST185 from 8PSI to 11PSI and looking at 30BHP+=20 more, which a huge increase torque, plus the boost starts to spool=20 earlier, and doesn't taper off over 5k revs, but makes full boost all=20 the way to the 7k redline.

More is easily achievable, 30BHP+ is consider conservative. jumping from=20

190BHP to 250BHP with very little more than bolt on bits is considered=20 normal with 3S-GTE engines.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

True. I was/am under the impression R34GTR's (as an example) are actually pushing 300+ from the factory.

Reply to
JohnR

Yes, but JohnR's point correctly being that it's not a legal limitation, just one of self enforced circumstances.

Reply to
LordyUK

Quite possibly (altho 10BHP per 1PSi is not very likely) but Vamp's car=20 is already pushing 11PSi and power becomes commensurately harder to gain=20 the more you already have. Whilst it may be easy to go from 170 to 200,=20 or 200 to 230. Getting towards 300 generally requires more than mere=20 tweakage.

Yes, expensive bolt on bits. That's not exactly a 'tweak'.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK

And I seem to recall someone in here saying that they could have picked=20 up a normal WRX for about =A315k - t'was the chap who bought an Octavia=20 VRs iirc.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
LordyUK