Sleeker GT Phwoar

From Autozine, Oct 14, 2004

Japan's 280hp limit broken by Honda Legend

The Japanese version of Acura RL, Honda Legend, has been launched in the domestic market. Like its American version, Legend's 3.5-litre VTEC V6 is rated at 300 horsepower. This breaks the long-standing voluntary limit of

280 horsepower.

The voluntary power limit was first introduced by the 1989 Nissan 300ZX Turbo as a response to the government's fear that the growing horsepower could lead to increased accidents. All Japanese manufacturers joined this agreement voluntarily. However, it was always criticized as impractical, because imported cars were not subjected to the agreement. Moreover, despite claiming their cars topping no more than 280hp, many Japanese car makers actually broke this limit in some of their cars, e.g. Nissan Skyline GT-R, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and Subaru Impreza of various kinds.

Earlier this year, the automobile manufacturer association told the government its intention to terminate this agreement. I just didn't expect the first car to break it is Honda Legend. Now devoid of any voluntary limits, expect we will see a new wave of horsepower war in Japan.

Reply to
JohnR

Guess it was voluntary but with the government, rather than each other then, sort of half and half.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

explains the skyline GTR Z tune at 500bhp :)

Reply to
Vamp

Quite possibly (altho 10BHP per 1PSi is not very likely) but Vamp's car is already pushing 11PSi and power becomes commensurately harder to gain the more you already have. Whilst it may be easy to go from 170 to 200, or 200 to 230. Getting towards 300 generally requires more than mere tweakage.

Yes, expensive bolt on bits. That's not exactly a 'tweak'.

Reply to
Vamp

yeah - I think (but I haven't actually read this anywhere) that the JDM manufacturers probably all got together and agreed this voluntary code/limit thing to thwart imminent government interference/legislation regarding domestic power limits. That's just my opinion though so most likely complete bollocks.

Reply to
JohnR

">> > Hell you learn something new every day! legal max for a Jap car is 280

Correct.

If it was the "law" then supra's and skylines wouldn't exist ;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

There is an unregistered WRX for £14550 near me.

Mason

Reply to
Mason