yay, another successful day of Saab fettling.

Played with the radio, found the ariel lead (bit loose fitting), and=20 reconnected the remote lead properly, and found the satnav wasn't=20 plugged in.

Also found a auxin lead that had it's phonos connected somewhere=20 disappearing under the dash, so removed the mystery cable and plugged in=20 simple stereo jack cable. The philips changer cable is also fitted, but=20 I don't know if it runs to back, but I won't need that.

Radio now works, Satnav now works, cd doesn't skip since I fitted the=20 cage properly, and I can stick in a cheap mp3 player in, next time ALDI=20 has a special, and just load up a playlist for long journeys.

Satnav will just be a backup to TomTom on the phone when the battery=20 gets low as I expect it is really out of date. But it does lock onto a=20 signal a lot faster than the phone. Shame it wastes 15 minutes setting=20 an address.

But why when people properly fit what was an exensive stereo/satnav do=20 they butcher the factory connector and put bullets on, instead of=20 spendig =A315 on an adaptor?

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Always good to have a pile of tunes at hand ;) Can you not get an iPod adapter, one of the ones that works off the CD changer bit?

Reply to
Abo

I think you know the answer to that already! It's good looking car though, nice colour.

Reply to
conkersack

Quite possibly, but Philips RC959 is a very old piece of kit, so a simple aux in will do. If I'm doing longer than a play list, setting random will work for me.

Reply to
Elder

Was a bit surprised to see a random bloke ask "are you carl robson?" outside the back of the house like that. Should have pulled in and had a proper look.

Reply to
Elder

Ah, I would have, but I was actually on a separate mission & just happened to be nosey as I was passing.

Anyway, your nudity was a bit off-putting :-)

Reply to
conkersack

Well, leather and flesh what can you do.

Reply to
Elder

Shocking, isn't it. I can only imagine some people don't know of the existence of adaptors.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

What's worse is, people cutting off right on the factory connector,=20 rather than leave an inch, that way someone can at least put bullets on=20 there too, and refit it.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Heheh, £15's a lot when you see what most of the adaptors actually are. I'd struggle to spend that, I'd be more inclined to butcher the wiring for nothing. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Bullets aren't all that bad, so long as they're crimped properly. The normal pre insulated ones that everyone uses are s**te though.

Reply to
Doki

This has been crimped fairly well, using cheap bullets. I have a set of proper ratchet crimps, and they look to have been used. I don't know why he just twisted the ends of the antenna remote losely together though, not even a token bit of insulating tape.

Reply to
Elder