Yes, that what car post again (xposted to misc&mods)

Hi chaps,

I know its another one of these, but its not for me either!.

My bro is looking to get a new car pronto, and he needs to part ex in his old R reg Hyundai accent so it has to be Trade.

Price bracket including trade value for old car about 14K

He's looking for something that looks pretty good, ideally 2000(W/X) or newer has a bit of power to it. not too many miles, (dependant on car/make but probably not over 30-40k, the less the better). Wouldn't consider anything by Rover, Ford, Vaux and French built.

Oh, important thing, he's concerned about out and out speed and grip round corners etc. But he really couldn't give a f*ck if the steering in one car makes you more turned on than another, or whether or not it's orgasmic to spin sideways down a country road. So basically as long as its got a punchy engine can take him fast round a corner safely and stops him quick the rest is of no concern.

What he's considered so far (with quick suggestions from me, but as I haven't driven many cars for long periods im not the best source)

Subaru Impreza (normal turbo no fancy Sti etc) He likes quickness 4wd and handling, and price for all that.

4motion Golf, He's going to test drive a Silver X plate one with 40k miles as I type (£12k I think) Reasonably nice looking, good equip, quick (dunno about handling) 4wd, Xenons etc.. Driven a 1.8t GTi a 2.0 and a 1.4, people always bitch about Golfs but can't see anything wrong with them.

A3 180 Quattro Its in Audi, 180bhp 4wd, but its not quite as kitted as the golf for the money. Driven an A3 once briefly, not enough to be able to comment on this car.

Honda Accord Type R Well built, looks a bit flash with that spoiler, about 210BHP I think, and not as revvy as a civic or S2000 Driven a 1.8, so can't say...

Hyundai Coupe 2.7V6 Newer than rest, less Mileage, good equipment, V6 (though a bit gutless for its size), good reviews. Never driven. With 168BHP its no scooby

Bimmer 325ci Errm, had a quick look on auto trader, seems can pick up a few for the right price. Not sure how fast they are as BMW keep changing the BHP for the different engines. Didn't the 325 have 178 and now has 192bhp?? Well, its a nice looking car, its a BMW can't comment on much else, what does everyone else think?

He would consider TT, S2000 if the price was right. But I think they are a little expensive.

So, any help please, as I don't really know what to suggest.

Thanks guys

Oh NOT A BLOODY 600ti :-)

Reply to
Andy R

Leon Cupra (R) ??

Reply to
Max Hamlet

That would be my choice, without a doubt.

There isn't anything wrong with them, they're just overweight and overpriced.

Unadulterated crap (but then you all know my opinion on VTEC :) Actually the newer revised ones are a bit better, the engine is more 'useable'.

Excellent car, not very quick but fast enough to have fun in.

Of course not, we all know they don't go around corners after all.

Reply to
Lordy

bummer, how do you drive anywhere? I expect "as the crow flies" is a common phrase in your vocabulary.

Reply to
Theo

Leon Cupra R

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

I don't think it seems bad for the price...

Bah humbug to you! I love the s2000!!!

Ill tell him to test one. Thing is, only being a year old + hyundai its still gonna give him some smack down in the depreciation...

You said it not me :-) New considerations, 323/325ci looks arlight For Pimp effect Lexus GS300 (nice T reg one with tasty alloys going for about 13k)LS400 I think a little too big and grandad for his taste.

Leon R...? Nice enough fugly from the back though. The only Leons that look nice are the very new ones and I beleive thats only the Cupra R, can you pick them up for 13-14k? If so thats definately worth a look. Tasty in black/met grey with those nice alloys.

Anyone think of anything else???

Reply to
Andy R

Yes, I quite often have to go through fields, people's gardens, etc - Whatever's in the way :)

Reply to
Lordy

It's certainly a decent alternative to a 3 series.

Most of them were only £16k to £17k brand new so I'd imagine there are plenty at that pricepoint.

Thought about a 600ti ? :)

Reply to
Lordy

heh

Reply to
Theo

It's a little on the large side for a true 3-series alternative. More

5-series sized.

ISTR it's the IS200 that's 3-series sized.

Reply to
SteveH

Volvo T5 or T6 ?

Big, safe, corner well... and fast, do not underestimate the T5 or 6!

Grant Williams.

Reply to
Grant Williams

I'd go for a Leon Cupra R.

BUT, you won't get one for 12K. I'm tempted by one of these next, but they don't get lower than £15K - and that's just stupid when they're £17K brand new !

Scooby's the best of your suggestions if he wants "quick". Golf's the best if he wants "refined".

Reply to
Nom

Oops, could have sworn he said IS (just noticed it says LS).

Reply to
Lordy

S2000

Supra

Skyline

MR2 Turbo

Civic Type R

Toyota Altezza (import 210bhp one)

or a yank tank for out and out V8 grunt, cheap to pick up....

Reply to
Vamp

Love it, too expensive for him though

Getting on a bit but love it still, plus servicing petrol etc

A nice one for 12k??

Hehehehehehehehehe, Same issues as the others

Has been considering that. V.nice car, but ugly little shit and not very flashy.

Or do you mean IS300??

errm...no

Reply to
Andy R

Five grand upwards. You can get a decent GTR for 12k.

Reply to
Nom

That'd be an R33 though and I think they're generally more like 15k

Reply to
Carl Farrington

Carl Farrington wrote

And there is nothing wrong with that. Or an R32 for that matter. 32's are weigh less and are cheaper to buy and maintain as even though they are still a technological tour-de-force there is a bit less to go wrong...

Saw an R33 win the trophy for fastest street legal at the Pod... "only" 500 odd BHP.

Reply to
fishman

Of course - the R34s are LOONY money :)

The 2.5 Turbo GTS is plenty good though - doesn't have to be a GTR !

Reply to
Nom