04 stang dual exh

Can you put dual exhausts (safely) on an 04 mustang 6 cylinder? No one wants to do it for me.

Reply to
Pamela Hawkins

First, you should ask why they refused...do they think you want to mess with the cats?

There are plenty of cat-back kits. Another route is a new h-pipe and GT takeoffs. Here's one from MPS that includes a bumper cover (with the exhaust cutouts):

Be prepard to spend $100-200 for a competent shop to install the pipes.

A quick search found this dual exhaust install:

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

ask yourself WHY

its a SIX lmfao save your money dont be so cheap next time if you buy a sports car get a EIGHT

hurc ast

Reply to
firefox7620

simply not worth it !

Rein

thats what i said

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

hurc ast

Reply to
gerald smith

I disagree. I put duals on my V-6 and I can feel (and hear) the difference. Better passing...better highway on-ramp. The car seems to rev easier and the MPG went up 1-2 MPG.

It was not meant to be a high performance car...but it's running better than it did before.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

That's awesome that you can feel a difference. Got a dyno sheet to prove the results? Not bashing or saying you're a liar at all... just curious what the actual gains are. Generally you don't feel any HP gains unless they are 10+ HP.. and I just find it amazing that switching to a dual exhaust netted 10+ HP.

-Mike

--

<memset

It's a V-6...I bought it beacause it's a convertible. I'm not going to waste any money on dyno runs.

Yeah...I could feel a difference after adding the duals. It was slight...I admit it. The car feels like it runs 'easier'. I'm not saying it'll smoke the tires off the line...but it gets on the highway a little easier and revs a little freer. In my seat-of-the-pants feel.

Maybe that generality needs refining. I'm not calling you a liar at all, but do you have the repeatable scientific data to quantify that hypothesis? (please see the sarcasm inflected here)

Let's say my duals freed up 5HP...that seems reasonable for a change from a single, small diameter exhaust to a dual exhaust designed for a V-8.

That generality says a 300HP to 310HP change can could be felt. I'm saying maybe it's possible a similar percentage of a HP increase (150HP to 155HP and 300HP to 310HP) could be felt.

And before this evolves into a fact-finding mission about 'feel' and 'dynos' and 'numbers' followed by links to timeslips and websites proving or disproving anything, let me finish this thread by saying...I'm having a little more fun with dual exhausts in my Mustangs. Case Closed

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Apparently you took offense to what I said. You shouldn't have. I think it's killer that you can actually feel a difference... it's *rare*. I put a tornado fuel saver in my intake & swore I felt a difference... felt nothing. And your car has more than 150 HP... assuming it's a 2004. 2004 model V6 has

190hp and 220 ft-lbs of torque. Not too bad for a little 6! But still.. even 5HP you won't feel... or at least I wouldn't.. but who knows, maybe it's in your head.. maybe it isn't. I was asking for a dyno sheet because it'd be nice to have some proof when I tell people "hey this guy actually DID see a power increase from switching to a dual exhaust". But naturally, you got defensive & took offense like a little child. Good day.

-Mike

--

<memset

I didn't call you a name. (I did specifically say I was being sarcastic) I didn't say you were wrong. ( First I said I disagreed about not feeling anything by adding duals, then I said the generality might need refining)

Too bad you couldn't resist calling me a name (inane as that name-calling was).

Let's just leave it at that. Cheers.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

I agree with Dinsdale. I also have a dual exhaust and a fenderwall cold air intake on my 1999 V6 ragtop and noticed a difference in the engine. Sure, the HP gain is minimal at most but at least the extra pipe lets the engine breath a little more. It also sounds very nice and everyone thinks I have an

8 in it.

As a side note. Don't get it done at Midas with their "Go Ravin'" piece of shit sports mufflers. I had it installed on my Stang about 4 years ago and the mufflers on either side have broken around 4 or 5 times. I know mufflers don't last forever but come on, that's just too fragile. To get a simple weld, that took them all of about 5 minutes, they charged me $67. (Midas sports mufflers have a 1 year warranty.) A pipe rusted and they wanted $379 to fix that. (The dual exhaust system cost $479 to install originally.)

This summer I'm going to buy a stainless steel system, probably Borla, and have that installed to replace this piece of shit Midas system. I don't know how that company even lives with themselves.

Reply to
DevilPaul

"DevilPaul" wrote

You need to know that Midas is alot like McDonalds. They have Corporate stores and franchises. The corporate stores will ALWAYS rape you. I went to

3 different Midas's for an estimate on a new dual 3" setup on my '69. The first was a corporate store (I didn't know it when I walked in). They quoted me $675 for a side exit system with a crossover and 18" glasspacks. I went to another store which was a franchise and was quote $400 for the exact same system. The third I went to was suggested to me by a former regional manager for Midas and also a Mustang devotee (He owns 1 boss, 2 '67 Shelby's, and a '69 CJ Mach1). The third shop quoted me $300 flat for, again, the same exact system.

I'm not saying they're the best, just that a little homework should be done before making that kind of blanket statement.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 18:56:41 -0700, "66 6F HCS" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Here in Virginia we have a small regional (I think) chain called Big Al's with a play on Al Capone. They charge $199 for a dual setup.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Well, all the Midas' in my area must be corporates then. I went to three different stores and the prices weren't any different. Plus I caught on to a scam they do with their lifetime mufflers. A lady was in the one store getting her "lifetime" muffler serviced and the girl at the counter asked if she had her original receipt and what store she had the install done at. The other store was about 6 miles away and of course she didn't have her paperwork on her. The girl tells her that they can't access the records in computers at other locations and she was gonna have to pay now since they had no record of it being done.

Real nice!

Paul

Reply to
DevilPaul

What scam? You want service on a lifetime guaranteed (for the life of the vehicle to the original purchaser) product and you go get service where it wasn't installed... of course you've got to prove its valid.

'02 GT Black Not eggzackly stock.

Reply to
Jafo

This is true. But wouldn't it be better customer service for them to have the record in a computer? (Computers are cheap nowadays.) What if your muffler fell apart on a long trip far away from home? I don't know many people who carry automotive work receipts or paperwork in their cars.

Reply to
DevilPaul

In a perfect world yeah that would work.. mebbe... But that assumes that some dickwad entered the correct data. GIGO is rampant.

FWIW a warantee / guarantee card should have the receipt stapled to it when the paperwork is passed to the customer. Customer.. taking the unheard of action of accepting some responsibility for themself puts the paperwork in the glovebox...

Reply to
Jafo

Everybody these days expects things to be "as easy and convenient as possible". Noticed how noob-ish the web is becoming? I'm a professional web-developer & all of my work that visitors see absolutely has to be ungodly easy to use.... and for a reason, if it isn't so easy that a newborn monkey could use it .......then it won't be used as often!

People take responsibility for themselves? Shyeah right =).

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset

Oh yeah! The point & click generation. I can't get over (well I can cuz I'm not affected) how they sell computers the same way they sell toasters.. take it home and plug it in is all you have to do. Then the users wail and moan when the puter won't work because they did something they shouldn't have done.. because they didn't know any better....

It all started with paper I think.

Reply to
Jafo