'05 Mustang, installing aftermarket stereo??

I am considering purchasing the new 05 mustang. My question is if it is possible to install an aftermarket stereo in these cars....I ask this because most GM's that i've looked at you cannot install aftermarket audio because it contains some security chip stuff...I do like the 05 Mustang's and if thats the case I will have to upgrade the stereo

Reply to
Mike Villeneuve

The Shaker 1000 puts out a lot of sound. Why would you want to upgrade?

Reply to
John H

I can think of some reasons, including: (a) What if you want a "MP3 Jukebox" type setup where it is basically a computer/hard-drive in the trunk serving up files to the deck? (b) What if the negative things I've heard about the Shaker 1000 system are true?

Much as I love my Mustang, it bugs me when an auto mfgr puts proprietary stereo equipment in the car. When I got a new deck (3 times now) for my Mach 460 system, the installer was like, "Oh a Mach 460 :(" and told me how THAT system means I need to buy some kind of extra adaptor crap. And then now just getting new speakers I heard the same kind of stuff...

Reply to
Scotter

The Mach 460 can easily have a head unit installed with a cheap plug-in adaptor, much like any dash wiring kit, if all you're looking for is the additional functionality of an aftermarket HU.

Now, if you're thinking of replacing speakers or amps, you might as well scrap the whole thing.

I have a Win-XP running mini-ITX system in my Eclipse as an MP3 player, and in my '97 Cobra, I have a RioCar in-dash DIN-chassis Linux-running MP3 player, mated to the Mach 460 system. I can definitely think of reasons why the stock stereo sucks, even if it's as powerful as the Shaker 1000. I don't know how proprietary it is, though.

JS

Reply to
JS

In my case, I'm an XM subscriber. Ford is aligned with Sirius. If I want XM, I've got to get my own radio.

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Sorry I forgot to clarify, it is because I would not be getting the GT version and the V6 only comes with the standard amfm/CD player, its nothing fancy, thats why.

Reply to
Mike Villeneuve