1966 choke heat tube

I have an original 1966 tube connecting the exhaust manifold to the carburetor choke mechanism. It has a frayed white braided cord around it. Can anyone tell me if this is asbestos? if so do replacements also contain asbestos?

thanks!

Reply to
eat411

IIRC, this is a woven asbestos cloth..... I have yet to find any replacements available though you might try some of the NOS or repro parts houses.

Check the tube carefully, these tubes have a tendency to rot from the inside out...... if you're looking for the insulator, you might want to look for a replacement tube. Where I live, it's easier to fab a replcement out of brake line tubing and modify the manifold to accept it.

Jim Warman

Contact Jim at Pony Carbs, he will have the "concourse correct" choke tube and covering for your application..............

Bill S.

eat411 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

eat411 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If your concern is what it seems to be, I weep for us.

Another overly-aware "victim" mentality.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ci had one on my 66 mustang years ago.. i think it was asbestoes, it, the cloth, was to keep the heat inside the tube and carrty the heat up to the back of the carb. to the choke.... i think mine fell apart.. i just ignored it and the carb. worked just as good.....

Reply to
jim

Asbestos? I eat that shit, I put mustard on it! ( Any Jerky Boys fans here?)

If you want the asbestos in that covering to harm you then you'd have to tape it to your nose for 8 hours a day five days a week. As Bill S. pointed out get a new one that isn't fraying. If that tube scares you then don't touch your brakes! Don't drive on gravel roads or you'll get silicosis too. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet