Choke Heat Device? Ford 460

I just bolted a new Holley 4160 (80508) on my 78 Lincoln Mark V. Vacuum hoses reconnected fine, but there are still 2 short metal pipes out of the manifold right below the choke that connected near the choke on the stock carb. The new Holley has no accomodations for these.

Was this some sort of choke heating device used to speed up choke opening?

I notice that there is a definite smoggy discharge out of at least one of these tubes. My question is: Should I plug this off, or should I somehow reroute it to the air cleaner? I also have no smog tests in my state, if it matters.

Also, am I nuts or is there no fast idle adjustment on this new Holley?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Saks

Mike Walsh

If your Holley has an electric choke, plug the tubes. If your Holley does not have an electric choke, install and electric choke kit and follw the instructions in the package. Then, plug the tubes. The electric choke installed properly is the only way to go with a carb.

BTW, you should get no discharge from the tubes. They air only circulated thru there from the air horn backe to the choke housing to heat the bi-metal spring that released the choke as it warmed. The only discharge would be exhaust if the manifold has an opening to the exhaust port which it should not. I have seen one where some dumbass tried to drill out a broken tube and went too far striking smoke.

Your fast idle screw is on the right side of the carb under the choke housing. Kinda hard to see and a PITA to get at.

Reply to
lugnut