1966 Mustang rear brake upgrade

I'd like to upgrade my rear brake system to the heavy duty version that 66 Mustang Shelby GT350's used.

Does anyone know what late model backing plates and drums can be used/substitued for the extra wide GT350 breake shoes?

Reply to
FastRedStang

If I were to consider a major brake upgrade, I would put disc brakes high on the list. Their performance is vastly superior to drum brakes and I am sure there are converson kits available that will make the swap nearly painless.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Good advice. Thanks. However, I'm trying to stay as close to orginal GT350 specs as possible.

Reply to
FastRedStang

FastRedStang opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

WHY! Are you gonna drive it or not?

GT 350 isnt any more proper for your car than anythng later.

If that's what you want, just get the best possible shoes and drums.

YOu ALWAYS keep the original stuff, so you can revert if you want... Aint talking hacking something up here.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I seem to recall hearing about people using the rear drums off of an Aerostar minivan for this conversion. Same diameter and bolt pattern, but 1/2" wider. And I think there's two versions of drums for theat vehicle, too. One is wider than the other. I've never done it myself, so don't hold me to that exactly. ;)

Reply to
boB

snipped-for-privacy@fuse.net (FastRedStang) wrote

This outfit called Cobra Automotive is THE place to go for vintage racing legal upgrades to your '66. Here's an 11 x 2 1/4 rear drum kit they sell:

The onebig drawback, their stuff ain't cheap.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I'd go with the disc brakes, far superior than drum, esp. for a car like that, keep the original parts if you ever sell and you can always convert back or let the parts go with the car.

news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Gary

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger