Wide 5 to 4-lug swap?

How much trouble would it be to do a brake swap from 5x205 to the newer

4x130mm setup? I've got a '66, and I was thinking of doing a disc conversion on the front. The wide 5 kits seem hugely expensive when compared to the 4-lug kits, so I got to wondering how difficult it would be to use the newer drums on the old swing axles (I figure the front wouldn't be much of an issue, since it's ball-joint already). I don't have any custom rims or anything, so I'm not particularly tied to the 5x205mm bolt pattern. Any ideas or recommendations? Also, does anyone know what's a good dual-circuit master cylinder to use? I've suffered a catastrophic brake failure with a single circuit brake system before, and I'd rather not go through that again, if possible.
Reply to
Gary

if you use the late model drums you have to machine off about .55 inch from the snout.... or use a 68 swingaxle

-- MIKE

Baja Mike

Baja Mike is right! When I did my 66, I had to drill some adjusting access holes in the backing plates, I used the original rear brake shoes in the rear and 4 bolt brake drums with the outer snout cut down some. Although a later model backing plate should work for you too. I also think if you are going with the front discs, the outer tie rod ends might need to be changed. Not sure on this though. :-)

dave