Caravan rear brake pad replacement

My apologies as I am not an expert mechanic like some folks here. I have searched the group and have found all sorts of issues on brakes, but not what I need. I am having news server issues so maybe I am missing something in the process.

My rear brakes on my 2001 caravan make noise when I first start her up and take off, but it almost disappears after awhile. I am thinking it

*may* need brake pads in the rear. I had them checked awhile ago, and they said something about ridges forming on the drum and cleaned them up (& of course charged me for it), but with little result. They did also tell me this is a common issue on caravans.

Now - does anyone know of a site or a thread which tells a dummy like me how to go about checking/replacing the linings on the rear (non-ABS) brakes in a 2001 dodge caravan?

Thanks for any and all information. Because of the news server issue, if you could copy any (polite!!? lol) response to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com it would be appreciated.

regards.

Reply to
BSAKing

[...]

Not sure how much they charged you, but if it was a couple hindred dollars, they should have replaced the pads and drums. Rear brakes last longer than front (usually). In order for you to replace the brake shoes (and drums) you would need certain tools that can be bought at advance auto or napa, or any auto parts store. They aren't necessary, but will make your job easier....A long screwdriver can be used in place of it. Its pretty straight forward.. after you secure the vehicle on jackstands, take off the wheels, and make sure your rear brake is not on. YOu should be able to slide the drum off, but if you can't then loosen up the rear shoe adjustment with either the tool or a wide screwdriver. (the adjustment should be on the inside at the bottom of the backing plate....there should also be a rubber grommet that will have to be removed to do this.... Once you have the drum removed, you will have to remove the springs that hold the shoes together (again with the tool)... then you can turn the other spring loaded holders and remove shoes....Take the drums to be turned (if you still can turn them) or just start replacing parts with new in the reverse order. I may have missed a step or two, but once you see, you will get the idea how to do this. Just make sure that when you go to put on the new drum, you will need to make sure the rear brake shoe is loosened up so that you can slide the drum over the shoes....once the drum is on. adjust so there is a very slight drag on the shoes....repeat for other side....

Good Luck,

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

hi - thank you for the reply. What are the certain tools you refer to? I gather one is like a sort of screwdriver to adjust the clearance/drag. The other must be a spring compressor of some type, or if I go to some auto store and thell them what I am trying to do, would they know what I need?

thanks for putting up with what I am sure are dumb questions.

regards.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
BSAKing

I am not sure what the tool is called, but yes.... it has what looks like a screwdriver on one end, and on the other it is rounded with a sort of notch or indentation so that you can attach it to the stud where the two springs are located. I guess it might be called a drum brake tool... the auto parts place should know right away, or you probably should find another store if they dont...

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear