1984 Mustang carburetor

Can anyone point me to a website where I can get information on 1984 V6 Mustangs (hatchback), more specifically, whether the carburetor has an accelorator pump? Any technical info I can get is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Tania

All automotive downdraft carburettors manufactured in north america have accelerator pumps - the accelerator pump is required to cover the time, during throttle opening, that it takes for fuel and air to begin moving through the main metering circuit. I'm not familiar with your car, but there were some motors in 1984 offered with CFI fuel injection (which would not have an accelerator pump) and are often confused with carburettors by neophytes.

If you are experiencing a particular problem, you would be further ahead to detail the concern and repost.....

is too simplistic (why wouldthey pick a chain saw carb when more people own cars than chain saws??) butwill give you some ideas of the principles. Automotive carbs include the idle circuit, the transition circuit, the main metering circuit, the power circuit, the accelerator pump circuit and the choke system (I'm sure I forgot one or two), so bear this in mind when looking at the link....

HTH,

Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your quick response. Tania

Reply to
Tania

if you have a V-6 84 mustang and its got a carb. i had a 83 must. V-6 with carb. and i had a book on carb. rebuilding and i think it was a

2600 motorcraft carb... the thing i had trouble with (you could not see it as it is located in the front of the carb. on the bottom, under the carb. is a small about 3 inch vacuum hose that was attached to the carb. adn then to the intake manifold... hose came off and it ran terrible... all the looking at it did not help.. but finally i found the hose off and put it back on and the car ran great.......
Reply to
jim

Yes, all carbs have an accelerator pump. When you open the throttle blade air rushes in and would stall the engine if you slam it open too quickly as the mixture leans out and there is little or no fuel to burn. The accelerator pump squirts fuel down the carb throat as you open the throttle to ensure there is enough fuel mixed with the air to burn. If you've ever had an accelerator pump break, or the linkage fail you will know that you have to open the throttle _very_ slowly at low RPM to prevent the car from stalling, but at higher RPM it doesn't make as big of a difference (that's why accelerator pump don't typically pump gas down the carb as you near complete throttle opening).

To test your accelerator pump remove the air cleaner and look down the carb throat (engine off), then push the throttle. You should see gas squirt down the barrels (only primaries if a 4v vacuum secondary carb, all if it's a 'double pumper'). If you suspect a problem with your accelerator pump it may be as simple as it needs adjusting to get more squirt. Typically with carbureted cars you make adjustments for winter and summer if the temperatures vary greatly enough. In the winter on my '67 and '68 Galaxies I always moved the accelerator pump linkage up one notch to get a bigger shot and get it earlier. This cured a stumble I had when the engine was warming up as the choke started to come off in the winter. I also needed to adjust the choke so I could drive the car right away after starting it.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle