Fuel system and carburetor

Hi all, Does anyone have any information about SU 2.8 Lit carburetor which installed in some old V6, 760 and 260 models.

Reply to
Ramy

Hi Ramy,

How old?? Could you give more info on the carb? If I remember correctly there is a little metal tab attached with the carb type embossed upon it. . I don't recognize the "2.8 Lit". I have an SU workshop manual dealing with Type H, HD, HS,and HIF. and the "Thermo".

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Isn't the PRV motor 2.8 liters? I'd imagine that's what the "2.8 Lit" stands for. I've never seen one that was carbureted though, I'm pretty sure the V6 came out after '75 at which point all US Volvos were injected.

Reply to
James Sweet

When the PRV came out in the 264 / 265's in the UK, they were at first twin-stromberg equipped.

*cue- frightening mpg! *

Even with the 12 months-later K jetronic which slightly curbed the thirst, they didnt succeed here still due to mpg!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'm not even sure what accounts for the horrible fuel economy of those motors. They're worse than a turbo driven somewhat aggressively.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Andy, it's PRV V6 2.8 Liter but couldnt find any No. on it just big SU.

Ramy

Reply to
Ramy

Hi Ramy,

My SU manual covers Volvos from '63 to '74, but doesn't list the PRV V6 2.8 litre. This engine was introduced to the Volvo line on October 03 1974. Perhaps that's why the PRV is not listed in my SU manual! Tim has pointed out that the early PRV's were equipped with twin Strombergs, not SU's. Maybe you have a Stromberg. Have a look at this:

BTW, "The Carb Came Back!" (in single form) for 4-cyl. models in '77, and continued 'til '84 along with F.I., at least in Canada.

Good Luck. Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

You could have a 360 B200K here in the UK with a twin barrel Solex as late as 1988!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim, As you and Andy said it might be something else but I m quite sure it s SU, anyway do u have any suggestion to install anther carb or changing fuel system to injection and which one is reasonable.

Thx Ramy

Reply to
Ramy

If it were my car I'd put Megasquirt on it, you'd probably gain 40% better fuel economy over the carb and it's a whole lot more fun to play with.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James, I dont have any information about Megasquirt, how it works, installment, cost, could you give some information?

thx Ramy

Reply to
Ramy

If you type it into Google you'll get more than 200,000 hits...

James Sweet