1989 Ford Mustang Head Gasket???

My son is contemplating purchase of a 1989 Ford Mustang LX with a L4-140 2.3L SOHC engine as his first car. The owner, over the past year, replaced the water-pump, thermostat, hoses, belts and had a new core put in the radiator. The engine now has a blown head gasket, so I am thinking this could be a good project for he and I to work on together. I have reasonably good mechanical skills and have the tools we'll need, I think.

My questions are:

Is this a project we can do by ourselves in our home's garage, or does it require specific tools and equipment that we're not likely to have?

My assumption is that when we remove the head, we should take it to a head-shop for checking, have it resurfaced, and if necessary, have the valves ground, etc. Are there any other things we should be aware of?

What should we expect to pay for new gasket kits, etc. from an after-market parts store like Checker, AutoZone, etc.? Is there a good place to get these materials by mail-order or online source that has really good prices?

I've also heard that these engines are prone to blowing head gaskets. Is that true? If so, what is the cause, and fix for this?

Is there anything else we should check while into this project? Like, change engine oil and filter in case any coolant got into the crankcase when the gasket blew, or any other things not mentioned above?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions you can provide.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sun

They are pretty easy to work on. 12 point sockets for the head bolts and the fasteners on these motors are metric. Not sure but you may need new head bolts if they are "stretch" bolts and you'll need a torque wrench to install the head to the correct specs to avoid warpage.

If the car has a fair amount of miles I'd just have the head checked for true milled if need be and slap on a new head gasket. I wouldn't being going to a lot of trouble unless I was going through the whole motor. These motors are longed lived generally.

Can't tell you specific prices but the head gasket will be pretty cheap.

They are NOT particularly known for head gasket problems. The old V6's were the real culpr its

You should always change the oil and filter after you do this type of motor work. Chances are it needs it anyway due to the gaskets problems. Also replace the timing belt when you do it. They are dirt cheap and then you'll know exactly how many miles you have on it, as it stands you probably don't have any record of the last one it had put in and they should be changed out at 70k miles. HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

In fact, I would change it twice. Coolant in the oil destroys bearings in a very short time. Cheap insurance.

John Del Wolcott, CT

"I'm just trying to get into heaven, I'm not running for Jesus!" Homer Simpson

(remove S for email reply)

Reply to
John Del