Couple questions...

Yesterday a freeze plug went out on me on the 65. the one in the head on the drivers side. I have been told I need to pull the head to do it properly. I am not happy about this but I guess it will have to happen. Here are my questions:

#1. Since I am pulling the head off my logic says I should redo both head gaskets and freeze plugs in both Y/N?

#2. Since this problem was caused by running 100% water instead of antifreeze mix I should also replace the gasket that is leaking (timing chain cover) and replace the ugly water pump while I'm at it so I don't have to worry about spending money on a gallon of antifreeze a week Y/N?

#3 Since I will have the timing chain cover off I should check/replace the timing chain gears if necessary Y/N?

#4. Since I'm this far into the motor anyways would this be a good time to install a wild assed cam?

#5 If yes to #4 how wild should I go? Stock 302 motor with a performer intake and a 650 Carter carb (headers by the end of the summer)

#6 any other help/hints/suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Gumby619

I can't drive it!!!!!!

Reply to
Gumby619

Seems to me that you already know the answers! YES!

Reply to
The Inquisotor

Sometimes the timing cover leak can be a real problem. The cover is Aluminum and it corrodes and must be replaced. I would also think about the plugs in the block. Easier to change with the heads out of the way and the exhaust loose. If you do the block plugs, get them all out and use a garden hose to blow all the rust and crap out of the block.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I forgot. I would forget about a "wild assed cam." Try to be sensible and get something you can live with. A 302 with a big cam has about as much low end grunt as a lawnmower engine. If you don't have the gears and converter (if automatic) you'll be sorry.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Gumby619" wrote in news:fPrqc.43943$pJ1.1947@lakeread02:

Two basic ways to go, considering it's a '65:

a) If the motor's pretty fresh (rebuilt along the way and still in good shape), then fix everything that's broken and give it a real good tune up. That'll be your benchmark. If it's nice, strong, and dependable, only then consider some mods.

b) If the motor's getting tired, save up for a crate engine (don't forget the tranny) and just keep it limping along in the meantime. You might get a few bucks for the core.

2 cents.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Just got through talkin to a buddy of mine and I guess I'm gonna do the work at his house IE no time limit so I can fix whatever needs fixing and not be rushed and screw something up. He has engine stand and access to a cherry picker so the engine is coming out and then I can change all the stuff AND paint the engine compartment so its only 1 color

Thanks for the advice etc people

Gumby619

Driving the beater is better than walking....

Reply to
Gumby619

Painting the engine compartment should be pretty cool =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yet again sound advice from Joe...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It's just common sense..

wrote in news:eWGqc.9969$QQ7.101 @newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

Which some ppl lack... myself included 99% of the time. Always simple shit.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Actually, that's a good point. I know a guy who has no common sense whatsoever. He's brilliant when it comes to math and business, but logical deductive reasoning is just lost on him.

wrote in news:voTqc.573$r snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe