1996 Mustang GT automatic trans slippage - need advice

Hi all,

I'm driving my dad's Mustang and noticed something. From a stop, if you romp on the throttle (say, 75% or more throttle angle), when the trans does a 1-2 shift there's a loud "SCREEE!" and the definite feel of trans slippage.

Is this a common indicator that the trans is ready to go? It has 125k miles on it and has seen regular maintenance.

Is there something I can do to it in the interim until I have the $ for a rebuilt trans?

Could this possibly be the torque converter?

I'm thinking using an ATF with a high static coefficient of friction (Trick Shift, etc.) would help, IF it's trans slippage. Any comments?

Reply to
scromwell2

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:05:41 -0700, scromwell2 rearranged some electrons to form:

Yeah, how about "quit abusing your dad's car".

Reply to
David M

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1125443141.499394.212680 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

lucas AT additive,

yes it really works.

But my experience with it is at normal operation.. just occasional WOT, not constant romp

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic