2001 GT - Engine problems Ford can't diagnose/fix!

I have a 2001 GT Convt. automatic that has been given me the same problem for more than a year now that two Ford and a general car dealer could not diagnose or fix:

If I drive in overdrive at anywhere between 35-50mph (i.e. slow highway speeds) and I take my foot of the gas, the car starts sometimes jerking back and forth as if it has an engine misfire or is about to die. This takes about 1 second and afterwards it is fine again. The "check engine" light does not come on, so it should not be a misfire, Ford told me. This effect is much more pronounced when I drive faster (i.e. acceleration, etc.) right before reaching the slower 35-50mph range in overdrive. Ford has thoroughly inspected the vehicle but finds nothing wrong. The computer yields no unusual information.

Can anybody offer any advice on this? The car is in absolutely great condition, but this is getting so annoying that I am ready to get rid of it.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts!

Reply to
JSB

Have you replaced the Idle Air Controller ? I used to have a very similar problem in my 1999 Expedition with the 4.6L V8 and about

75K miles on it.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

BTW, I forgot to mention that when I had this problem, the Dealer replaced all of my spark plugs and wires. That might have helped also but in the end it was the idle air controller had crud on it and did not work very well anymore.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the suggestion! I'll have to mention that to the next dealer I'll take the car to. It's just amazing that two Ford dealers don't even have a clue what to do - not very confidence inspiring!

Reply to
JSB

Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the suggestion! I'll have to mention that to the next dealer I'll take the car to. It's just amazing that two Ford dealers don't even have a clue what to do - not very confidence inspiring!

Reply to
JSB

That was my first thought as to his problem, but I've never owned an automatic anything.... It sounds like it has trouble returning to idle.

The idle air control valve can be cleaned with some throttle body cleaner. just remove it, give it a good cleaning and return it to service.

Reply to
Brent P