Engine Roll restrictor on Ford Galaxy

Hello

The bolt securing the front end of the Engine roll restrictor onto the engine transmission has just sheared off on my petrol Galaxy. This is causing some clanking when accelerating.

What I'd like some advice on is how safe is it to drive in this state? According to the Haynes manual, I need to tighten the bolts on the replacement using a torque wrench. As I don't have one of these, I wanted to take the car to my friendly garage for them to do it. The garage is 20 miles away. is it OK to drive that far with it broken?

Thanks All

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

Yes if you try to drive very gently and avoid the engine rocking back and forth too much on its mounts. The engine wont fall out- but you're liable to break the exhaust mounting flange in time or if you are not careful pulling away using alot of power in a low gear.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Wouldn't it be better to fit the replacement bar, tightening the bolts gently with a spanner, and then drive it gently to the garage for them to tighten the bolts to the correct torque? Better still, buy a torque wrench with the money saved not going to the garage:-)

Reply to
Bob Davis

Although Haynes may mention a torque wrench I can't believe it's necessary on a low risk issue like this. Just tighten it up to a suitable tightness in the same way as you would your wheel nuts - I bet you don't torque them.

Rob Graham,

Reply to
Robin Graham

pulling

It's actually worse the higher the gear. The lower gears lessen the torque required from the engine. If you change up the engine is required to deliver more torque to propel the car and this will make it lean over more.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

But as the gearbox is bolted to the engine it's the output torque that the mounts see , not the engine torque.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Exactly- which is highest in the lower gears!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yeah, OK. Apologies.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

Thanks all for the prompt and helpfull replies

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale