2001 GT Steering Rack assembly

hi all! I am tired of that mushy feel that stock steering has. Enter the Power steering rack/shaft assembly from Maximum Motorsports. Questions: how hard is it to install? If it's hard or cant be done with common tools and a trip to my local shop will be required, how much can I expect to pay? If anyone has had it done, did the steering improve greatly, became more precise? Thanks! Mike

--

2001 Zinc Yellow GT Bassani X-pipe Bassani cat-back Steeda Underdrive Pullies Steeda Tri-Ax shifter 3.73 FMS gears K&N Global West Subframes Maximum Motorsport K-member brace Maximum Motorsport STB Tokico Illumina 5-way struts/shocks w/matching springs 2003 Cobra rims 285/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Reply to

I installed the steering shaft. MM lists it as Flaming River but the assembly I got was actually manufactured by Borgeson. Had a little bit of trouble installing the shaft into the steering wheel. The stock shaft is rounded over at the very top whereas the Borgeson was not. I had to round over the top edge with a grinding tool to match the stock bevel. The bevel enables the shaft to go into the steering wheel far enough to reinstall the lock screw. No issues with installing the other end into the steering rack. There is a large plastic sleeve, a gommet actually, that holds the shaft going through the fire wall. Be sure to transfer the sleeve to the new shaft. I installed it while the front end was apart to install headers so the engine compartment side was easy. The steering wheel side required some unnatural and painful contortions to get to. It becomes a lot easier if you remove the driver seat first.

There are benefits and drawbacks to a solid steering shaft. The steering is tighter in that there is noticably less slop with no steering lock. The car starts to turn immediately with turning the wheel. Replacing the shaft does not increase steering effort. The wheel will turn as just easy as it does now. The downside is increased road feel in the wheel. You get a lot more feedback and will feel more tire twitches. I used to think I could feel a paperclip under the low profile tires. Now I can feel a sheet of paper.

Reply to
SteveL1994

Thanks Steve! I appreciate the good info Mike

Reply to
frost