2003 Convertible A-Pillar Problems

I am getting dangerously close to having to Lemon Law our beautiful '03 V-6 vert. When the top is up and it's not raining (a juxtaposition that doesn't happen that often in the Seattle area since I love running around with the top down!!!), there is a very distinct whistle coming from the driver's side A-Pillar at around 60 MPH and above.

On the first go-round (1,700 miles), the dealer tried adjusting the top itself. No joy. On the second attempt (3,500 miles), they tried the procedure contained in a Ford TSB for A-Pillar wind whistle. No joy. Now, the third time (6,200 miles) they tried replacing the plastic trim piece on the outside along with two different rubber gaskets/seals. While it remains in the shop, my last call from them was that after replacing the parts the whistle remains and "one of our mechanics and a supervisor from the body shop are going to work on it together." Still waiting for the results of that cooperative effort.

Any one else had whistles on their verts? If so ... what fixed it?

Thanks in advance ...

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I don't have that problem. I know, no help, but I thought mentioning might exclude any feelings you have that what you have, is a problem common to all Mustangs.

Are you sure the sound is coming from the A-pillar, and not somewhere else like the windshield header? If it is not actually coming from the A-pillar, then focusing all the repair work there will never yield a fix.

Does it leak at all when it ra> Any one else had whistles on their verts? If so ... what fixed it? >

Reply to
Walt

Walt

Interesting that you mention the windshield header as late yesterday the Service Manager reported that they were looking at that area. Seems they found a shop where they could pressurize the interior and after doing so they found no leaks at all around the A-Pillar, but a suspect area on top of the windshield. I should find out later today if their work on that area fixes the problem ... I hope so.

I have had no interior leaks in the rain or when it's washed that are visible ... but I have worried a bit about a leak where the water stays inside the metal structure. Where there is air getting in, I would suspect water is as well. Without a fix it doesn't sound good for the long haul.

I also appreciate the comment about the problem not being common ... I suspected so since this body/frame has been out a long time and I have not seen any indications of major complaints about this issue. Right now, if they cannot fix this, I'm leaning towards a "replacement" rather than a "refund" as I otherwise really love the Mustang.

Cheers!!

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Hooray!!

They fixed it!!

Seems there was a very tiny hole at the very top of the "A" pillar on the outside. After fussing with the rubber some and reattaching the trim piece, the noise is gone!!

Yeah!!

Reply to
Ken